PDA

View Full Version : Shopbot PRSstandard CNC Router question

Terry Teadtke
04-12-2008, 8:26 PM
I'm looking at the PRS Standard 96 and I'm curious if it can do the same type of carving work that the CarveWright can with the proper software such as Partworks and V Carve Pro or do I need to upgrade to the Alpha series? Small shop one-piece-at-a-time type work.

Thanks

Terry

Keith Outten
04-12-2008, 9:11 PM
Terry,

The ShopBot will do all that a CarveWright can do and much much more.

Visit this link to see two full scale horses that were carved on a ShopBot
http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/messages/2/11280.html?1141971577

Visit this link for one of the most amazing projects you will ever see.
http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/messages/17997/22717.html?1196959473

Visit this link to see Brady Watson's beautifully carved door.
http://www.ibild.com/3DServices2.htm

Note: As the owner I have allowed myself a little lead-way with the first two links. They are worthy of special consideration in this case. If you are shopping for a CNC router knowing what the machine is capable of based on the more advanced techniques gives you a better understanding of the technology available these days. Most people don't consider how much range these machines have beyond machining flat plaques. These links provide some of the best information I know of concerning advanced techniques, the first two use advanced software to break jobs into layers sized to fit the sheet material you select. By gluing each layer together after machining very large projects are possible, even three dimensional statues. The third link, although it is another large project, shows 2.5D machining that would be considered an intricate carving by anyones standards. Machines capable of precision work at plus or minus 0.010" are commonplace now and are capable of very intricate work.

Terry Teadtke
04-12-2008, 9:21 PM
Intricate carving but not quite at that scale size wise. Actually much smaller in scale but I get the idea. Am I to assume the carvings can be made on the PRS standard machine? Thanks so much for the links. I'm really new to wood CNC machines but did put my self through school 20+ years ago working in a CNC machine shop.

Terry

Bob Reda
04-13-2008, 9:29 AM
Terry,

the shopbot can do the carving but you will need software to do it. Look at the vectric stuff to get an idea.

Bob

Keith Outten
04-13-2008, 9:34 AM
Terry,

Even photographs can be carved on a ShopBot, it is much easier to do using Photo VCarve from Vectric.

Very small detailed carvings are also possible, the idae of showing you the big stuff is so you can see the range possible. The truth is you really can't compare any of ShopBot"s machines to the CarveWright. Nothing wrong with the CarveWright machines but they are in a whole different class, the additional investment you make in a ShopBot is reflected in the range of projects possible and the working life of the machine.

Ed Lang
04-13-2008, 3:56 PM
PRS STANDARD and PRS ALPHA do the same work, use the same software.

STANDARD cost less and will run slower with less power to the motors. This power is NOT the spindle or router you choose, but the power and speed that the machine can move the spindle or router.

ALPHA cost more and will move faster with more power. Again, spindle or router is not what I am talking about.

I think this is what you were asking.

Terry Teadtke
04-13-2008, 7:56 PM
Thats exactly what I was looking for Ed.

Thanks everyone for their imput.

Terry

Steve knight
04-19-2008, 2:00 AM
with 3d You won't really get a speed difference between them unless the piece has lots of flats. 3d is slow but pretty cool.