PDA

View Full Version : LEGACY ORNAMENTAL MILL info needed

jack jarvis
03-28-2004, 7:04 PM
Is there anyone here who owns the legacy ornamental mill who has any links or info or tips or experience with it, who I can chat with? I will be getting mine in a week or so and wanted advice....could you reply to my email as i don't get back here often...thank you!!!!
myxpykalix@hotmail.com

Jim Becker
03-28-2004, 9:52 PM
SMC member Bill Grumbine has a Legacy and has some information on his web site. You can look him up in the Member Directory.

jack jarvis
03-28-2004, 10:38 PM
THANK YOU!! I'll check it out...

Chris Pasko
03-28-2004, 11:28 PM
I have one with a bit of use on it. I am not super knowledgeable on it, as I haven't used it much. I have just made some test rosettes for the trim molding in my new house, and will be making quite a few of them up soon. I also made a couple of test twists =). You can pm me if you want to chat about it.

Bob Aquino
03-29-2004, 8:48 AM
Phil Bumbalough has his own website and frequents the woodnet board. You might want to take a look at this :
http://www.benchmark.20m.com/reviews/LegacyMill/toolslegacymill.html

Is there anyone here who owns the legacy ornamental mill who has any links or info or tips or experience with it, who I can chat with? I will be getting mine in a week or so and wanted advice....could you reply to my email as i don't get back here often...thank you!!!!
myxpykalix@hotmail.com

Dave Richards
03-29-2004, 9:09 AM
Jack, I've got a 1000EX. Although I haven't used it an awful lot, I'd be willing to answer questions. What do you want advice on?

jack jarvis
03-29-2004, 11:32 PM
Jack, I've got a 1000EX. Although I haven't used it an awful lot, I'd be willing to answer questions. What do you want advice on?

I haven't recieved mine yet and am trying to get as much info before i get my hands on it. How hard was it to assemble? How complicated was it to learn how to use for the first time? Do you have any resources, links, info, tips that would help me? What I am most interested in starting off with is spiraling. I bought about $300.00 worth of assorted bits to try to be able to do spiraling, fluting and other ornamental type of designs. Are there things you were disappointed about the machine that you tried to do? Any drawbacks to it, or any regrets in buying it?

thanks!

Chris Pasko
03-29-2004, 11:44 PM
I haven't received mine yet and am trying to get as much info before i get my hands on it. How hard was it to assemble? How complicated was it to learn how to use for the first time? Do you have any resources, links, info, tips that would help me? What I am most interested in starting off with is spiraling. I bought about $300.00 worth of assorted bits to try to be able to do spiraling, fluting and other ornamental type of designs. Are there things you were disappointed about the machine that you tried to do? Any drawbacks to it, or any regrets in buying it?

thanks!

It isn't very tricky to assemble, though there are many parts. I had it together in one afternoon.

I found that spiraling, though I am far from experienced with it, to be fairly simple. I received a quick start video with mine, so it explains exactly how to get what you are trying to achieve. I forget the formula to figure it out, but if I sit and look at what I am trying to do in a couple of minutes I can usually figure it out.

One thing that I get kind of irritated about, and I dont know if its me or the machine, is when I raise it, one side of the bed sits lower then the other by maybe 1/8" maybe 1/4" really ticks me off. I have to raise to where I want, tighten the good side, then crank more until the other side is the same height.

I also wish there was in index of some time on the rotary table. I am working on devising something for that.

LMK if there are other questions. Hope I helped a bit.

Michael Ballent
03-30-2004, 3:14 AM
The "machine" should be called a kit... A ton of parts and it takes some time to assemble... I too bought the beginners router bit kit... get ready to spend some more on those :D The spiraling techniques are pretty straight forward. Diameter of bit times number of starts gives you the pitch you need for spirals... The bed is not flat as Chris P. said you need to make sure that all the sides you tighten down are in the same plane... I usually use a combination square and set all the corners to that setting.

I too bought the rotary table... probably the worst purchase I made... I would have been better off with the extra pitches rather than the rotary table. It's tough to accurately center your work on the table and the indexing capabilities are not what you would expect for an accessory that costs that much. I did end up putting on a scroll chuck on the Legacy, but have not had time to actually put it to use. FYI to all the Legacy owners out there that were interested I ended up changing out the hex bolts with pan head bolts that provided more clearance at the head of the machine... but there is a lot of play still at the head stock... Not sure how to resolve that... Guess I should call Legacy on that one... Good luck on your toy.

Feel free to send me a PM or better yet post here so everyone can jump in and learn from each other :D

-Michael

Dave Richards
03-30-2004, 6:54 AM
Again, the there are a lot of parts and it will take an afternoon to put together. Fortunately, the parts for each step come in a labelled bag and the assembly instructions are quite good.

I've also seen the thing about the bed not coming up squarely but thought it was because mine isn't on a level floor. I also use a combination square as a depth gauge for setting the corners.

I have been considering adding some sort of self-adhesive scales at the ends to use for setting the bed height. I have also been thinking on replacing the cap screws that are used for locking the bed height. I just haven't decided what I will use.

As to the rotary table, I agree it is difficult to center objects although once I get a piece centered, I tape down blocks on two sides to hold the positioning. I haven't had any problem with indexing anything but I haven't done anything too demanding, either.