PDA

View Full Version : "Down goes Frazer!", Ouch!

Russell Tribby
04-12-2008, 7:37 PM
Well it wasn't quite like an Ali punch but it sure felt like it. I put my Shark Guard on a couple of days ago and decided to put it to use this afternoon by ripping some maple. As I reached to grab the piece that I had just cut I must have bumped the cut off, which was about 1" wide. It caught on the blade and....Howard Cosell should have been there. Luckily it didn't come out the other side. Now I've got to put in a call to Lee to see if he sell just the plastic guard since a good portion of mine got demolished.

David Tiell
04-12-2008, 7:49 PM
Ouch!!! That looks nasty, and I'm sure hurt like hell. Sorry to see/hear. Hope it heals well and quickly.

John Keeton
04-12-2008, 8:16 PM
Glad you aren't a foot taller - now that would have hurt!!

Ken Fitzgerald
04-12-2008, 10:29 PM
Ouch! They always hurt no matter where it happens. Glad it wasn't more serious!

Mike Heidrick
04-12-2008, 10:43 PM
OUCH! I have that same scar just a bit more to the right as I was not exactly behind the blade. Mine made the same mark but through a shirt and did not cut the shirt!!??!! You are not alone in learning this lesson.

gary Zimmel
04-12-2008, 11:00 PM
Now thats got to hurt.... Glad it wasn't any worse.

Thanks for the post. A little reminder how dangerous our hobby can be and how fast things can go bad.

David DeCristoforo
04-12-2008, 11:02 PM
Ow....OWW...OOOWWWW

I hate it when that happens....

Russell Tribby
04-13-2008, 12:37 AM
Now thats got to hurt.... Glad it wasn't any worse.

Thanks for the post. A little reminder how dangerous our hobby can be and how fast things can go bad.

Gary, you're not kidding. I've had this happen once before at a shop I used to work at and the speed always amazes me. There was zero time to do anything except react to the projectile that had just done it's best to impale me.

Carl Fox
04-13-2008, 12:48 AM
owwie.:eek:

Carl Fox
04-13-2008, 1:10 AM
PS. I heard that there are 2 things he could have done to prevent this:

1) Push the wood all the way past the blade.

2) Have the 'wide' cut-off next to the fence, so the 'narrow' cut-off is to the left of the blade. Since a wider piece is less likely to kickback.

Russell Tribby
04-13-2008, 1:32 AM
Carl, the wide portion of the board I was ripping was next to the blade. I think when I reached to grab it after pushing it all the way through I nudged the cut off just enough to hit the blade and get pulled in. I never rip thin strips between the fence and the blade and I always use a push stick. It was just one of those things where I shoud've paid more attention to where the cut off was instead of just the predominant piece.

Bill Wyko
04-13-2008, 1:35 AM
:DBeen there, done that, hate it!:D

Carl Fox
04-13-2008, 1:57 AM
Carl, the wide portion of the board I was ripping was next to the blade. I think when I reached to grab it after pushing it all the way through I nudged the cut off just enough to hit the blade and get pulled in. I never rip thin strips between the fence and the blade and I always use a push stick. It was just one of those things where I shoud've paid more attention to where the cut off was instead of just the predominant piece.

Wow, it just goes to show that the littlest mistake can hurt. So, if I read this correctly the narrow piece was to the left of the blade and you nudged it and the blade grabbed it hard enough to do that?:eek:

Makes me wonder if an armored vest might be a good idea. BTW, I'm glad you're OK.

Peter Luch
04-13-2008, 3:52 AM
That makes me think about raising my TS.......I'm 6'4" and my manhood is about even with the table..............YIKES!

Hope it heals well!

Aloha, Pete

Joe Chritz
04-13-2008, 4:32 AM
I though I posted earlier but must not have sent it.

I am guilty of the same thing. I didn't push the off cut far enough and it just barely got tipped and caught the blade.

Left some cool marks on the piece and shot back like a missile. It left a similar mark and dropped me to one knee. Hurt for three days after that.

The worst part was when a friend seen the mark later she yelled at me for weeks for not coming into ER. She is a nurse. I would almost take another kick back instead of her wrath again.

Joe

Lee Styron
04-13-2008, 6:46 AM
Sorry to hear about the sucker punch, Russell. I know from experience that it hurt pretty good. I have done this before and it actually contributed to my designing the first shark. Unfortunately, blade guards protect more around the rear teeth of the blade and major kickback rather than small parts being slung forward by the front teeth.
I don't know of any guards that would stop that from happening every time. The shark does pretty well by sitting on the off cut and keeping it from vibrating into the blade on it's own, but when bumped or sucked up by the dust port, its tag team time.
Just FYI, I always push the keeper side at least to the splitter or RK. I always then bump the kill switch and step away while the saw spins down and stops. I have only started doing it like this in the past couple years and it has already saved me a time or two. As you know, I cut a lot of lexan on the table saw and that stuff would sure go right through you. I take NO chance with that.
It does take a little longer and detracts from switch life, but certainly keeps me out of harms way when this type of thing is most likely to happen.

No worries on the guard part. Free repair or replace for a year and after that, you incur shipping only, but I still repair or replace at no charge. I have only had very few get damaged, so warranty is easy. I'll get you another shipped out this week. Feel free to post some pics of the shark on here as well. I am pretty straight forward with everything related to these, so battle damage should also be seen. You did get one of my latest 9.0's as well, so it is the strongest to date. Version 10 may be right on it's heels though. ;)
Thanks.