PDA

View Full Version : Chain sawing bowl blank options

David Wilhelm
04-12-2008, 7:28 PM
Those of you who work up your stock with a chain saw. How do you Hold your work? I'm looking for safer ways when working up crotches. Also interested in your other methodes as well. Thanks Will

Dennis Peacock
04-12-2008, 7:36 PM
David,

Take you some scrap lumber and build you a X-shaped sawhorse...with the X section about 1/3 the way down from the top. That will be your pivot point and fix the legs at the bottom with chain, rope, or bolted board to hold it rigid. Lay your log section in the "V" part of the top and chainsaw away.

IIRC....Jim Ketron posted pics of his here somewhere.....

Yup....found it here. Post #5 (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=57275&highlight=chainsaw+stand)

Allen Neighbors
04-12-2008, 8:27 PM
David, When I'm cutting just small logs, firewood, or smaller bowl blanks, I have a large Ash stump that the end is dished out a little, forming a "Y".
When I cut out large bowl blanks, or crotches, I usually cut them in place. I use four wooden "wedges" (corners from previously cut bowl blanks) that I use to raise the piece off the ground. These also keep it from leaning or falling while chainsawing it.
HTH.