PDA

View Full Version : New Rikon!!

Matt Hutchinson
04-12-2008, 7:12 PM
Well, after all options were weighed carefully, I decided to go with the Rikon Mini. I just brought it home from the Woodcraft store here in town. I have some garage rearranging to do, and I am impatient. So I set it up in my unfinished dining room and took it for a spin. I am very happy. However, there is a clicking sound. When I tightened the belt to a tension that seemed too tight, the clicking went away. I will have to investigate the issue.

Anywho, I am very pleased with my purchased. I will be able to do the kind of spindle turning that I want, and I can extend the bed when needed. Sure, it's no NOVA 1624-44, but that's ok. I need to save money, and I have my other lathe for large work.

Hutch

Bernie Weishapl
04-12-2008, 11:48 PM
Matt I have the same one for my small lathe and love it. One thing you might check is the set screws on both pullies. I did my were slightly loose. I put some loctite on them and haven't looked back.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-12-2008, 11:52 PM
Congrats Matt! A lot of happy folks using that lathe.

Jon Lanier
04-13-2008, 12:12 AM
I have one as well. Nice machine and customer service is good. Your clicking noise may be the sproket/indexing. May want to check that out.

John Grabowski
04-13-2008, 9:57 AM
I have one and love it...I especially love the ease at which pulleys are changed...I cant imagine it any easier in a machine where pulleys are moved to change speed...

My lathe will be featured in a youtube video this week on turning acrylics : )

Some videos are available about making ribbons and casting them in PR under grub32 at youtube.

Enjoy that beautiful lathe.

John G

Allen Neighbors
04-13-2008, 4:48 PM
Congratulations on the new lathe!! Minis are fun!

Steve Schlumpf
04-13-2008, 4:52 PM
Congrats on your new lathe Matt! Hope the clicking turns out to be something very minor.

Fred Conte
04-13-2008, 5:53 PM
Congrats Matt on your new Rikon, I've had mine since about Aug 2007 and really got hooked. It's a really nice machine and their customer service is excellent!!! I just got a 3520B last week but still use the Rikon for smaller turnings, I doubt I'll ever part with it.
Enjoy!!!

Matt Hutchinson
04-13-2008, 6:13 PM
I am not sure exactly what the clicking was caused by, but it's gone. I tightened all the grub screws, and fiddled with the chip guard (a plate covering the motor), and things are quiet. I even got my wife to try turning. (She hasn't before because she has physical limitations caused by Lyme disease.) So that was pretty cool. Also, I tried making my first sphere. I was using sycamore, and the first one turned out ok, but I had cone chuck burnish marks all over. The second one I simply padded the ball with paper towel as I sanded, and it came off perfectly. It makes me all giddy.

Hutch

Brad Knight
04-15-2008, 5:43 PM
I've crossed over to the dark side...

... I just walked in the door with the same lathe (and about a grand less in my pocket after tools and blanks and... )

Shawn Honeychurch
04-15-2008, 6:38 PM
Dang it, but I wish I could get this lathe. :(

I have heard so much about it and many people seems to be happy, but I am not paying $250 for a lathe and then $230 for shipping. :eek:

So it looks like it is between the Delta LA200 and the General International 25-100.

Shawn

Bill Bolen
04-15-2008, 7:20 PM
Gosh Shawn! Where the heck are you at that shipping would be so much?..Bill..

Shawn Honeychurch
04-15-2008, 7:40 PM
Gosh Shawn! Where the heck are you at that shipping would be so much?..Bill..

Vancouver Island, BC, CANADA.

Might as well be on the far side of the globe with those shipping rates.

Curt Harms
04-16-2008, 3:08 PM

Other side of the globe might be cheaper:eek:

:)

Jon McCoy
04-17-2008, 2:09 AM

Does the woodcraft store in Seattle have one in stock? If that's too far for a road trip, someone could probably pick it up during the week in Seattle and meet you in Blaine. :D

-jon-

Paul Douglass
04-17-2008, 11:18 AM
Man oh man, if gas wasn't so expensive (and I was richer) I'd pick one up. hitch up my nice RV trailer (that I can't afford to use anymore) and bring one to you. What a great trip in the spring!

With the price of gas you might as will pay the shipping!

Paul Douglass
04-17-2008, 11:24 AM
Thought of a question I like to ask here if I may. I'm look at buying a mini lathe to replace my harbor freight. I'm looking at the Rikon, Jet and Delta. I'm leaning toward the new Jet 1220 with varible speed. What made you choose Rikon over the others (other than cost). I read very good comments all all of them.

Shawn Honeychurch
04-17-2008, 11:55 AM
Man oh man, if gas wasn't so expensive (and I was richer) I'd pick one up. hitch up my nice RV trailer (that I can't afford to use anymore) and bring one to you. What a great trip in the spring!

With the price of gas you might as will pay the shipping!

That would be sweet Paul;

But with the cost of gas, and the cost of the ferry ($120.00), and the border hassles and likely duty and such, the shipping would probably be cheaper.

I just got a chance to see the General International Midi Lathe in action and man is it ever quiet, and smooth, I think that is my choice.

Matt Hutchinson
04-17-2008, 2:20 PM
The General Mini is known to be a VERY good little lathe. The only reason more people don't go for it is due to its considerably higher price. Not to mention it is hard to find on sale. That is why Jet and Rikon get all the attention. I believe in some wood magazine's mini lathe comparison the General came out on top of all of them.....except the Vicmarc. But the Vicmarc is crazy expensive for its size.

Go for the General International. It's worth the money.

Hutch