PDA

View Full Version : I need a flush-trim bit.

Nick Walter
04-12-2008, 4:05 PM
Hi,

I am thinking about applying a laminate to my existing kitchen table. The edge has a routed finish. There is about a 3/16" lip before the first radius.

I am looking for a ball bearing guided flush-trim bit that would be able to ride on the existing lip. The only bits that I have found so far need about 3/8" below the cutter. I only have about 3/16" to work with before the the bottom of the bit hits the radius.

Or is there a better way to trim the laminate?

Thanks,

Nick

Lee Schierer
04-12-2008, 4:15 PM
You can trim laminate with an edge guide. It takes a bit of effort to get it fine tuned perfectly, but it works.

I have a 1/2" diameter Woodtek three fluted flush trim bit that has the bearing on the bottom. The bottom of the bearing is only 1/4" below the bottom tip of the cutters. The bearing is slightly less than 3/1" tall.

Dale Lesak
04-12-2008, 4:30 PM
you might try a flush trim bit that is made for trimming along inside dado groves. It is not a bearing bit tho. the bottom guide is thin as to fit into the grove. I made one by cutting down a regular bit. It was carbide so it took me about 5 or 6 dremel cutoff disks bit it worked. Is the table round or square? If its square you can just use a edge guide. I had to replace a top on a end table that only had a 1/8 lip to work off of. had to make a special edge guide but it worked perfect. If you need more info on that one e-mail me. Dale

Douglas Dompkowski
04-12-2008, 4:32 PM
Nick,

Do you really need a bearing guided bit?

They make solid carbide flush trim bits, that do not use a bearing on the bottom. I have one permanently mounted (mainly because I have it in so tight it won't come out..) of a $20 Harbor Freight trim router.

Works well enough to trim off laminate from any of the projects I've done...

http://pricecutter.com/solid-carbide-trim-bits/p/P12-1902/

-DD

Joe Chritz
04-12-2008, 8:31 PM
Any reason you can't recut the edge with a profile router bit and refinish?

Might be faster and easier than trying to get a bearing to ride on such a small surface and risking a boo boo on the laminate.

Joe