PDA

View Full Version : Rikon 10-325 and Carter Stabilizer Installation

Ken Massingale
04-12-2008, 3:44 PM
A search shows that some of you 10-325 owners have installed the approriate (RIK1) Carter Stabilizer.

O.K., I'm not a mechanical genius but usually I can eventually figure things out. The instructions for the stabilizer seem to be the same for all the units whether the BS has roller guides or blocks.

Can someone please explain/how where this darn thing attaches? I 'think' I see but it will require adding a bolt which is not mentioned or included.
Thanks
Ken

Bob Noles
04-12-2008, 4:05 PM
Ken,

It took me the better part of 3 hours to figure mine out and I am still not 100% I have it where Carter meant it to be, so I am going to hold off sharing my mounting method unitl some others chime in. Mine works and works well, but lack of proper instructions like you mentioned leaves one wondering :eek:

If no one else comes along, I'll share it with you via pictures a little later on.

Lance Norris
04-13-2008, 2:27 AM
Ken... I always hate it when someone says "well... I dont have that saw, but..." Just let me say, I dont have that saw, but I do have the Bandsaw Stabilizer on my Ridgid and I do understand how it works. I have a picture of the Rikons upper guide system and Carters websight shows the stabilizer for the Rikon, so I should be able to help. It replaces the complete upper guide assembly and the roller on the stabilizer is mounted in the same configuration as the stock Rikon thrust bearing(the bearing behind the blade). From the picture I have, the Rikons upper guide is mounted to a "bar" that extends forward from the guide post. If looking at the guide from the front of the saw, there is a pin that sticks out of the right side of the guide post. The stabilizer has a hole that mounts on this pin. I cant really give you any more specifics than that. Remember, the Carter Stabilizer replaces the complete upper guide assembly. Something I forgot to mention, the roller guide on the stabilizer is adjustable from left to right by loosening the allen screw on the front of the guide. Dont assume that its in the correct position from the factory. Once mounted, it has to be lined up with the blade, so that when you push wood into the blade, the blade goes into the groove in the center of the roller.

Ken Massingale
04-13-2008, 5:21 PM
Thanks Bob and Lance. I think I got it, I did use the pin. I initially tried to mount it to the bar, then finally saw the pin.
ken