PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw modification

Rick Levine
04-12-2008, 3:25 PM
I need some opinions on a mod I am contemplating. I would like to be able to tilt my Delta 14" bandsaw table towards the back a bit more than the 10° normally allowed. If I cut a notch about 2 1/2" x 3/8" in the table with a grinder (see image 3 for the location) will that cause any problems? The notch will allow the table to clear the lower wheel cover.

Don Abele
04-12-2008, 3:33 PM
Rick, I have to ask the obvious question...why do you want to tilt it backwards?

Be well,

Doc

Rick Levine
04-12-2008, 4:12 PM
Because I can. Seriously, the table is designed to tilt that way but for some unknown reson Delta doesn't build the table to allow it. Note the scale in the photo. It shows degrees in both directions. Obviously it won't tilt the full 45° but if you want to use the saw to cut dovetails, for instance a 12° angle is necessary.

Dale Lesak
04-12-2008, 4:37 PM
Get out those wood working skills and make a wood replacement table. you could even raise it up to get more angle than with the original table I don't think I would cut into the original as it might warp. that's what the pin is for at the end of the blade slot. to keep the table Even. Dale :)

Rick Levine
04-12-2008, 5:59 PM
Dale,

Are you are referring to something like the image below? If so, that's what I didn't want to do because it would reduce the resaw depth. I didn't want to add and remove the table to change operations. But maybe I'm being lazy.

Tom Henderson2
04-12-2008, 6:07 PM
I need some opinions on a mod I am contemplating. I would like to be able to tilt my Delta 14" bandsaw table towards the back a bit more than the 10° normally allowed. If I cut a notch about 2 1/2" x 3/8" in the table with a grinder (see image 3 for the location) will that cause any problems? The notch will allow the table to clear the lower wheel cover.

Hi Rick-

I would think twice before I cut into the web around the edge of your cast iron table. That web provides a lot of stiffening.

Think about notching the sheetmetal housing before you cust up the cast iron.

My $0.02

Rick Levine
04-12-2008, 7:12 PM
If cutting the web at the back of the table would cause it to warp I won't do it. Cutting the sheet metal cover won't give me enough clearance to get any more than about 11°. I guess drilling and tapping through the top like Norm did for his circle cutting jig wouldn't have the same effect.

Pete Bradley
04-12-2008, 8:20 PM
As others have said, don't cut the cast iron.

Sounds like you need a new 20" saw with tilt in both directions. :D

Pete

Rick Levine
04-12-2008, 8:42 PM
I know I do Pete. I just can't justify it yet. I spent quite a lot of money in the last two years building and equipping my new shop for my retirement which occurred just about 4 weeks ago.

Mikail Khan
04-12-2008, 9:27 PM
How about a wedge shaped tabletop jig with a 12 degree angle that you just clamp to your existing tabletop when you are cutting dovetails.

MK

Mike Cutler
04-12-2008, 9:33 PM
Rick

A few years back, well maybe more than a few, I contemplated doing what you are thinking about to my Jet 14" band saw, specifically to do dovetails on the band saw. It seemed as if would be easier to be able to tilt the table in both directions to establish the correct angles.
In the end I didn't modify the table. I found that Mark Duginske had 16 pages dedicated to a method of cutting dovetails on the band saw in his original Band Saw Handbook.
The two jigs required, to follow Mark's method, are not difficult to make, nor expensive, but they do need to be exact. I would highly recommend that you get a copy of Mark's new Band Saw handbook, or even the original version before you cut the table.

I didn't cut the table,and I'm glad that I didn't. The table was actually modified later on in such a manner that it now won't tilt towards the frame because of the larger work surface I added to the band saw. (The true Achilles heel of 14" band saws in my opinion.)

Don't cut the table if you can at all avoid it.If what you are trying to achieve is cutting dovetails, there are some alternatives.
You have a nice band saw there.

Rick Levine
04-12-2008, 10:52 PM
Mike, I was already convinced not to cut the notch in the table and yes, it is a great bandsaw for a 14". I is one I've had for quite a long time. It is even a made in USA version. I recenly replace the tension spring and handle to make it easier to operate and help add the correct tension to the blade as well as replace the guide blocks with cool blocks. It now tracks very straight.

Mikail, that is exactly what Norm does when he makes some of his angled cuts on the saw. If it is good enough for him it is certainly good enough for me.

One last thing, I may some day when I when I need it drill and tap a couple of holes in the top to mount a circle cutting jig like the one from NYW.

Lance Norris
04-13-2008, 2:00 AM
Rick... I just looked up the cheapest 14" Delta bandsaw and the table is $56 through Delta. Part # 907240.
http://www.dewaltservicenet.com/Products/PartDetails.aspx?partid=215225

I would go this route and keep your original table unmodified. Best of both worlds.

Eddie Darby
04-13-2008, 7:51 AM
You're only removing 3/8" of metal, and you have the option of a back-up plan with a replacement table for $56, so cut it and then keep an eye on your table top.

If it warps, then you can spend the $56, and if it doesn't warp, then you are ahead of the game.

Rick Levine
04-13-2008, 11:26 AM
Lance,

I followed you link and after entering my model number (28-275) I found this:

118 426023910005 (http://www.dewaltservicenet.com/Products/PartDetails.aspx?partid=207771) 1 TABLE $344.82

I can't believe this is the correct price. I'll call Delta on Monday to find out. I sure is way off from the price you found.

I went back and checked the PDF on the link you found and it appears that the table looks the same as my older model. I don't know why the PDF of my saw shows such a high price. It has to be an error on their price list. I hope all the bolt holes line up on the newer one. I will definately call Delta about it.

Eddie Darby
04-13-2008, 1:14 PM
I think the 28-275 model has a bigger table than the other models they offer.
Don't know if it would be all that big $$$$$. Yikes!:eek:

Scott Crumpton
04-13-2008, 3:12 PM
Also, be forewarned that Delta parts availability for older tools leaves something to be desired. The website (Black+Decker) will show the parts and a price, but if you order expect it to be on backorder for several months. Then, check back in a month and you may find that the ETA has moved out another month or two. This happened to me once with a part for the original 12" portable planer (which I like because of the resharpenable knives). Don't know if it's still true, but at the time there was no way to cancel an order from the web site. I ended up having to email customer service several times before I found the right person. I really didn't want to leave that order hanging and possibly have my children receive the part and bill after my death.

---Scott.
Who still buys Delta tools, but now considers them throwaways.

Lance Norris
04-13-2008, 8:38 PM
Also, be forewarned that Delta parts availability for older tools leaves something to be desired. The website (Black+Decker) will show the parts and a price, but if you order expect it to be on backorder for several months. Then, check back in a month and you may find that the ETA has moved out another month or two.

I just checked and there are 4 tables in stock. All you have to do is add it to your cart and then check your cart, and it will tell you how many are available. I have ordered many times from Dewaltservicenet and the order comes quickly and Ive never had a backorder.