PDA

View Full Version : Guess I'm a Turner Now

Paul Fitzgerald
04-12-2008, 11:45 AM
Well, I just ordered a 10" Jet Mini Lathe from Amazon. :D

I'm planning on picking up the Woodcraft 8" Slow Speed Grinder and a set of HF or PSI chisels for learning purposes. And based upon recommendations, I'll probably also pick up the Wolverine Grinding Jig.

I'm most interested in pens, but stuff like bottle stoppers, pepper mills, and small bowls also interest me. And if my fiance has anything to do with it, I'll be turning a fair number of small candle plates. :)

Paul

Bernie Weishapl
04-12-2008, 11:50 AM
Welcome Paul to the wonderful world of turning. Look forward to your first turnings. Looks like you have a good start.

Steve Schlumpf
04-12-2008, 12:03 PM
Welcome Paul - remember - lots of pictures!

Toney Robertson
04-12-2008, 12:47 PM
Well Paul I have some good and bad news for you.

Good news is that I love turning and I think you will too. Very relaxing. I can be at the lathe for what seems 30 min and look up and it has really been two hours.

Now for the bad news. Kiss your money goodbye because once you are sucked into the vortex there is no escape. If it is not tools it is some exotic wood or a bigger lathe. There is ALWAYS something that is talking to you.

Toney

Glenn Hodges
04-12-2008, 2:02 PM
Way to go Paul, now find a bunch of people to give away your work to, and then a few to buy from you.

Paul Fitzgerald
04-12-2008, 3:27 PM
Thanks everyone! I'm really excited to get started.

Paul

Ken Fitzgerald
04-12-2008, 3:36 PM
Paul....Welcome to the Vortex! It's a kick!

I'd recommend locating and joining a local turning club. It will greatly speed up your learning curve.

I'd also recommend a book....Woodturning- A foundation Course - By Keith Rowley. Great book....

A DVD...any of the Richard Raffan videos and Bill Grumbine's "Turned Bowls Made Easy"....

Don Eddard
04-12-2008, 5:23 PM
You're almost a turner now. As I understand it, you're not officially a turner around here until you've posted pics of your first bonker. Ken should be able to fill you in on all the details.

Fred Conte
04-12-2008, 6:08 PM
Congrats Paul on your new lathe purchase! You'll definitely enjoy this craft, it's addictive!!!

Dennis Peacock
04-12-2008, 6:56 PM
Welcome to the Vortex Paul....!!!!! We like LOTS of pics. ;) :D

Paul Douglass
04-12-2008, 8:53 PM
Welcome Paul from a Paul. You will love turning. The statement made earlier about money is all to true. I use to laugh at it and think I will just get by with what I have... wrong! The vortec just keep pulling at you, there is just no avoiding it!!:mad:

Bill Wyko
04-13-2008, 1:33 AM
Welcome Paul. What Steve said.:D

Tom Sherman
04-13-2008, 10:41 AM
you in deeper every time you step up to the lathe, but there is nothing I have found that you can do with your clothes on that is as much fun. Welcome Paul.

Paul Fitzgerald
04-13-2008, 11:55 AM
Ah, the Vortex. So that's what it's called. :D

Well, yesterday I picked up the red-handled set of HSS Harbor Freight lathe chisels and Taunton's Complete Illustrated Guide to Turning by Richard Raffan.

And today I'm going on a road trip to Birmingham and back, so I should have plenty of time to read through the book.

I can feel the vortex already. LOL

Paul

Belton Garvin
04-13-2008, 3:19 PM
I just purchased the slow speed grinder from Woodcraft myself. They have a special if you purchase the grinder, diamond tip dresser and the Wolverine Sharpening jig you save $20 on the overall price. I figured I was going to end up with all of them eventually anyway. Your store should honor the web prices also. My store didn't seem to know about this special and had to look it up.

Woodturner's Sharpening Kit

#148382 Price:$169.95