PDA

View Full Version : Glue Question

Sean Troy
04-12-2008, 11:43 AM
Does anyone know of a glue that will permanently adhere a dry piece of wood (face grain) to a freshly cut piece of green wood (end grain) ? Thanks for any help, Sean

David DeCristoforo
04-12-2008, 12:14 PM
There is no glue known to man that will do this.

I hope that answers your question.
;)

PS I'm sticking my neck out here because, sure as you're born, someone's gonna know of one!

Greg Hines, MD
04-12-2008, 12:14 PM
Does anyone know of a glue that will permanently adhere a dry piece of wood (face grain) to a freshly cut piece of green wood (end grain) ? Thanks for any help, Sean

The biggest problem I see with your plan does not address the fresh cut vs dry debate. But gluing face grain to end grain is inherently a poor connection. The end grain soaks up a good deal of glue, but has no long grain in it, and that is what forms a strong joint.

This is why for this kind of connection, a mortise and tenon joint is a traditional joint that exposes the long grain of the each piece, giving you a strong joint.

As to the wet vs dry component, I would use a polyurethane glue, such as Gorilla Glue, since the moisture of the one piece would help it to cure. But even that is unlikely to work for what you are describing.

Doc

Peter Quadarella
04-12-2008, 3:28 PM
There's plenty of glues that will do this. The question is, how durable does it need to be? There's nothing that will be strong enough for furniture making.

For example, you could crazy glue it and it will stick, but if you tried to pull it apart you would probably succeed.

Sean Troy
04-12-2008, 3:47 PM
There's plenty of glues that will do this. The question is, how durable does it need to be? There's nothing that will be strong enough for furniture making.

For example, you could crazy glue it and it will stick, but if you tried to pull it apart you would probably succeed.
Fairly strong to hold together while turning the woods which will end up thin and light.

Jacob Reverb
04-12-2008, 8:35 PM
3M 5200 Marine Adhesive Sealer

It's polyurethane, has a caulk-like consistency, requires a fairly thick glue joint and ain't pretty, and if you don't clean it off your hands within 5 min with acetone, you'll need a belt sander or Sawzall to get it off, but I guarantee it'll adhere pretty much from now until Armageddon.

Edit: I should add that's it's not fit for furniture, as someone else said. For furniture, I don't know of an adhesive that will work for your application.

Sean Troy
04-12-2008, 10:41 PM
3M 5200 Marine Adhesive Sealer

It's polyurethane, has a caulk-like consistency, requires a fairly thick glue joint and ain't pretty, and if you don't clean it off your hands within 5 min with acetone, you'll need a belt sander or Sawzall to get it off, but I guarantee it'll adhere pretty much from now until Armageddon.

Edit: I should add that's it's not fit for furniture, as someone else said. For furniture, I don't know of an adhesive that will work for your application.
That sounds like it might work. The parts that are going to be bonded will be turned away after completion. thanks, sean

Jacob Reverb
04-13-2008, 3:48 PM
Sean,

I don't think 3M 5200 is fit for your application. I didn't realize you were gluing up something for a lathe. I'm not sure what adhesive would work (if any) but I don't think 5200 is it. (It's also expensive, so I hope you didn't buy it for this purpose yet.)

Sean Troy
04-13-2008, 3:55 PM
Sean,

I don't think 3M 5200 is fit for your application. I didn't realize you were gluing up something for a lathe. I'm not sure what adhesive would work (if any) but I don't think 5200 is it. (It's also expensive, so I hope you didn't buy it for this purpose yet.)
No, I haven't purchased it. If it's a strong adhesive that would work with a damp application, why do you think it would not work to hold something together while turning? thanks for any info, Sean

Greg Hines, MD
04-13-2008, 7:23 PM
I assume you are using a faceplate, for turning a platter or bowl. Generally, if you are going to glue a block for a faceplate, you would glue it long grain to long grain, not end grain to long grain.

Any glue would do that. Most people use a 5 minute epoxy for that kind of work.

Doc

Sean Troy
04-13-2008, 7:28 PM
I assume you are using a faceplate, for turning a platter or bowl. Generally, if you are going to glue a block for a faceplate, you would glue it long grain to long grain, not end grain to long grain.

Any glue would do that. Most people use a 5 minute epoxy for that kind of work.

Doc
It will be end to long i have to find a way to do.

Greg Hines, MD
04-13-2008, 11:42 PM
It will be end to long i have to find a way to do.

Well, good luck with that. I would stay far to the side of your platter (or whatever) when you fire up the lathe. My suspicion is that shortly thereafter, it will be a missile.

Doc

Sean Troy
04-14-2008, 8:15 AM
Well, good luck with that. I would stay far to the side of your platter (or whatever) when you fire up the lathe. I suspicion is that shortly thereafter, it will be a missile.

Doc
Life would be boring without a little risk. http://sawmillcreek.org/images/icons/icon10.gif