PDA

View Full Version : U.S. China tariff ?

John Daugherty
04-12-2008, 11:06 AM
First I don't want this to get political. I couldn't care about the politics of the matter.

I was at woodcraft today talking to one of the salesmen. He told me the US had just passed a 30% tariff on any product imported from China. He said if anyone was looking to purchase an import tool they should do it quick because prices would be going up. Is this true?

Chuck Wintle
04-12-2008, 11:13 AM
First I don't want this to get political. I couldn't care about the politics of the matter.

I was at woodcraft today talking to one of the salesmen. He told me the US had just passed a 30% tariff on any product imported from China. He said if anyone was looking to purchase an import tool they should do it quick because prices would be going up. Is this true?
Its about time that someone took aim at China's dumping of products in North America.

Bob Childress
04-12-2008, 11:35 AM

In a word--no.

Matt Meiser
04-12-2008, 11:37 AM
Did he also tell you the factory just called and they are raising prices tomorrow? Sounds like a used car sales tactic to me.

Mike Henderson
04-12-2008, 12:04 PM
A 30% tariff on goods imported into the US from China would be destructive to the US economy. We import so much from China that it would instantly add maybe 15% to 20% inflation. Congress understands that.

That salesperson is BS'ing you to try to get you to buy today. Probably saw how the Festool increase spurred sales and is trying to do the same with China made goods.

Mike

Jason Beam
04-12-2008, 12:42 PM
I'll be adding that to the long list of BS a woodcraft employee spewed. Seems they'll say anything.

John Shuk
04-12-2008, 1:59 PM
Yeah, like The Freedom Pens project is their thing!

Dennis Peacock
04-12-2008, 2:41 PM
Its about time that someone took aim at China's dumping of products in North America.

I agree..!!!! Any more, we do our best to NOT buy anything from China.

Mike McCann
04-12-2008, 4:17 PM
There are tariff's out there for all different products on any import coming into the US. Textiles probably have the highest duties. What the US collects is called duties. Some countries have most favored nation status and have very low tariffs/duties while other have higher. There are also quotas on certain products coming into the US. If a commodity or product was ruled by customs to be dumped in the US. Duties will go through the roof. I have checked with a freind who is a customs broker and there is not any anti dumping on tools jsut their regular tariffs/duties.

Glenn Clabo
04-12-2008, 4:55 PM
Or Woodcraft either.

John Daugherty
04-12-2008, 10:21 PM
I thought it sounded kinda odd.

david hines
04-13-2008, 6:33 PM
I was in one 2 weeks ago to look at band saws
they had about 5 different models. I asked the salespeople for info(IE HELP). I thought I was at the borg. the delta rep was in demoing sanders he was the only one that offered to help. he spent the time to show me the deltas, salespeople never budged. I had money burning a hole in my pocket and they didnt want it.

Pat Germain
04-13-2008, 11:15 PM
Considering the hundreds of billions of dollars in US treasury bonds China has been buying over the past several years, it would be absolutey ridiculous to slap a 30% tarrif on any Chinese goods, let alone all of them. In fact, it likely that oppressive debt which prevents the US from doing much of anything about China.

As for Woodcraft, YMMV. As I posted in February, I had a bad experience with the manager of the Loveland Woodcraft. Yet, the guys at the Colorado Springs Woodcraft are alright by me. They were very helpful when I talked to them about bandsaws today. They went out of their way to answer my questions without any pressure whatsoever. I just wish they'd get some new tools in the new store!

Steven Hardy
04-14-2008, 2:26 AM
A 30% tariff on goods imported into the US from China would be destructive to the US economy. We import so much from China that it would instantly add maybe 15% to 20% inflation. Congress understands that.

That salesperson is BS'ing you to try to get you to buy today. Probably saw how the Festool increase spurred sales and is trying to do the same with China made goods.

Mike

Not true,It would not be destructive to the economy. There are OTHER countries ,with which we have fair trading relations with that DO NOT have a massive trade deficit with us every year. China dumps all around the world,due to nationalist intervention. My wife is from southeast asia ,(new to the country in the fall). She is amazed to see so much "china junk" in the stores here. The folks in her country cannot afford to buy stuff that has to be replaced soon after purchase ,while China develops their manufacturing processes and goods. Entire industries have also been put out of business in her country...(like leather shoes.)We just happen to be a country that many of the consumers think "getting a good deal is paramount and a constitutional right" .
I suspect that Woodcraft has a higher margin with China goods. On my first visit I was told by the sales person that a UNISAW was 500 dollars more than what I expected to pay and that it was mostly made in China now. The salesguy got pretty annoyed at me when I laughed that their Japanese square says "Made in China"
Home Depot is also doing pretty much the same thing with massive amounts of Chinese made tools. On friday , I picked up two 36 inch straight edges ,looked them over and showed to my wife that when you held them edge to edge,you could see that they were bowed about .010 in in the center. Empire:Made in China ...no thanks.I need straight ...not curved .