PDA

View Full Version : 15" Planer (used import)

Craig Summers
04-11-2008, 10:38 PM
I just bought this planer (with a buncha of other tools:D) from an estate sale. (I'll have fun on saturday moving it ... any tips on how not to break the back moving it?:eek:)

I cannot find a manufacturer name on it, and the owners manual was devoid of any better information. The white sticker that had a part number is faded.

1) From the picture does anyone recognize what mfg it is?
2) Does anyone know a good source of parts for this (if needed?)

Thanks

Jason Stein
04-12-2008, 12:02 AM
From the blue color, I would say it's an Enco. I got a great deal on a used 20" Enco planer a few months ago, same color. It needed a few parts and I called Enco for them, but they couldn't find the correct catalog and had to order one. In the mean time, I got what I needed from Grizzly. These four post planers are all made in the same factory, and companies like Grizzly, Jet and Powermatic just put their own paint on them. So a lot of the parts are interchangeable. Good luck.

Dick Bringhurst
04-12-2008, 12:24 AM
I looks similar to a Star planer which is identical to a Sunhill. I have a copy of a copy of a manual I could send you. Send me an email and I'll send a picture of the planer and if it is similar I'll get you a copy of the manual. Dick B.

Kim Spence
04-12-2008, 1:10 AM
My dad has the same planer, it is a Sunhill.

Dick Bringhurst
04-12-2008, 1:31 AM
Craig. Just dug out the "Users Manual" and found the picture on the front is identical to the pic. in your post. Looks like Sunhill will be your source for parts. Do you need the users manual? If so email your address to me and I'll send you one. Dick B. (oops sorry my email is - fernhopper@comcast.net)

Peter Quinn
04-12-2008, 8:37 AM
As far as moving them, you typically need several people. Lower the table, slide sturdy 2x4x8' studs across the planer bead so they protrude equally from both sides, keep one stud close to each set of posts along the outer edge of the planer bed, raise the table snugly to secure the studs to the head and lock the posts. This gives you good handles with which to lift the central part of the machine (head casting and planer bed) and better maneuverability. The steel infeed roller and anti-kickback fingers will grab the studs making them very secure. Do all lifting using these boards (think Cleopatra!)

You may want to remove the feed tables and probably disconnect the drive belts and separate the base from the top, should be a simple matter of four bolts.

I removed the knives and gibs when I moved mine (bought at auction), if you do not just take care not to let anyone reach inside looking for a place to grab.

Good luck.

Dick Bringhurst
04-12-2008, 10:37 AM
THe unit has four retractable handles built in. Dick B.

Craig Summers
04-13-2008, 10:35 PM
Thanks for the input, I was able to move it with an appliance dolly and 2 stout friends. I did bring some 2x4s just in case. That is a heavy piece of iron. I will definately have to put that on a mobiile base in the shop.

I will check it out and see if it needs any parts, it came with the manual so now i have to brush on my "broken english" to read it .... i know the blades were already removed and seem about as dull as a presidential debate. :rolleyes: Not sure if i should sharpen these, or use that as an excuse to get new sharp set.

Bruce Wrenn
04-14-2008, 9:09 PM
Global Tooling would be my choice for blades. A set of three ( 15" X 1' X 1/8" ) for $41.84 and freight. I have bought replacement knives for my jointers from them.