PDA

View Full Version : Cherry Wood Gloat!

Pete Jordan
04-11-2008, 9:17 PM
The local tree guy called me and asked if I was interested in any cherry. A tree had fallen through a guy's roof right above his bed last night. I told him to bring it over and I would take a look at it. It was beautiful! I asked him how much for the whole truck load and he said free! I tutored him through a walnut bowl the other day and this was his way of saying thanks. I love happy endings!

Steve Schlumpf
04-11-2008, 10:32 PM
WOW!!! Great gloat Pete! Love working with cherry! Should be enough stock there for at least 4 bowls and 3 pens - if you cut it up right!! Congrats!

Robert McGowen
04-11-2008, 10:32 PM
Nice haul! Now go make some shavings............

Bill Bolen
04-11-2008, 11:14 PM
Great gloat Pete!!. I reallllly love turning Cherry. Makes te shop smell great for days on end too....Bill...

Bernie Weishapl
04-11-2008, 11:18 PM
Wow Pete what a haul. Now lets see some turnings.

Scott Hubl
04-11-2008, 11:50 PM
Nice Cherry Pete. You should yield some nice turnings out of that.

I got a small load of Cherry awhile back. I lost most of it to LARGE Cracks, be SURE to Anchorseal the logs ASAP

It only took a week and they were splitting wide open.
I saved some by cutting it up into small chunks for future lidded boxes, I anchore sealed those blanks I cut and not one has split and its been 6 months or so now.

Just make sure you seal those ends NOW, ASAP, don't wait.

I'd love to get my hands on some more, this time sealing it the day I got it.

Learned my lesson on sealing those ends quick on all logs or pieces I get now.

Tom Sherman
04-12-2008, 6:16 AM
Two great gloats Pete, 1 drawing another victim into the vortex, 2 a nice cherry haul.

Rich Souchek
04-12-2008, 12:57 PM
From Houston, where cherry trees are completley foreign,
YOU SUCK!!!!!

Rich S.

Glenn Hodges
04-12-2008, 1:39 PM
Pete, I await pictures of cherry bowls, vases, etc.

michael gallagher
04-12-2008, 10:56 PM
As a Texan, I'm jealous because the closest we get to cherry is when the fruit goes on sale at the local grocery store. Great score. Makes our mesquite trees look puny.