PDA

View Full Version : TS Motor Source Question

Larry Fox
04-11-2008, 8:24 PM
My brother has a older TS that I would like to get setup but I can't find a motor and thought I would ask here. The saw is an Invicta / Rockwell and I believe the model number is either RT-30 or RT-31. There are not a lot of markings on the saw itself so it is tough to get started. My brother is not the most motivated / resourcefull person (he is my brother - I am allowed to say this :) ) when it comes to these sort of things and has had the saw sitting in a corner for a few years so I thought I would start here. I recall posting something like this a couple of years ago but I don't think there was much info at the time. I have asked him to take some pics and I will post when he does.

Thanks in advance for any info anyone might be able to provide. I have looked on OWWM and didn't any useful info there but I may have missed it.

Larry

Jacob Reverb
04-11-2008, 8:46 PM
If you know the frame type of the original motor that came with the saw, that ought to help.
Is the original motor still around, where you could take some measurements and read the tag?

Larry Fox
04-11-2008, 8:55 PM
Jacob - thanks for the reply. My brother says that he MAY have the frame size specified on an exploded diagram as that is the first question that I asked also. He is going to call me tomorrow. The old motor is long gone and the guy he bought the saw from provided a Baldor 5hp motor and it sorta fits but doesn't allow the saw to tilt through the entire range so that one is clearly not correct.

Ken Garlock
04-12-2008, 11:38 AM
Hi Larry. Take a look at Electric Motor Warehouse (http://www.electricmotorwarehouse.com/woodwork_motors.htm). They have a section for TS motors. If you don't find anything in that section, they have a large selection of Leeson motors.

Tom Veatch
04-12-2008, 1:50 PM
...a Baldor 5hp motor and it sorta fits but doesn't allow the saw to tilt through the entire range so that one is clearly not correct.

Depending on the meaning of "sorta fits" and why it won't allow the full range of tilt, the Baldor motor is probably the correct frame size, especially if the "footprint" matches the mounting brackets on the saw. If the lack of full tilt is due to case interference with structure, it may be that the 5HP motor is simply too long since, IIRC, overall length isn't defined by NEMA frame sizes.

Larry Fox
04-12-2008, 6:57 PM
Depending on the meaning of "sorta fits" and why it won't allow the full range of tilt, the Baldor motor is probably the correct frame size, especially if the "footprint" matches the mounting brackets on the saw. If the lack of full tilt is due to case interference with structure, it may be that the 5HP motor is simply too long since, IIRC, overall length isn't defined by NEMA frame sizes.

Tom, this is exactly the case. The frame of the motor is banging against the case when tilted. So, based on your theory (which is very reasonable), we know the frame size and just need to get a "stubbier" motor. Humm - you might be on to something her. I appreciate the info.