PDA

View Full Version : Memory box and plaque

Luke Phillips
04-11-2008, 7:04 PM
Thought I'd post these as the project came out pretty good. A coworker lost her father last year so I made up a memory plaque as a gift - it was a hit and asked me to make three more for family members. Kathy had a great B&W portrait photo of her Dad as a young man. He worked as at an Esso station back in the days of 25 cent/gallon gas. The image in the lower left was from the funeral card - a Thomas Kincade print. The memory box is basswood, stained and finshed in rosewood. I painted a cameo of the portrait and framed it with wooden accents.

Linda Tetreault
04-11-2008, 7:34 PM
Luke,

They're beautiful, I'm sure your friend will cherish them.

keith culm
04-11-2008, 7:43 PM
How did you get the photo in color ?

James & Zelma Litzmann
04-11-2008, 9:49 PM
Luke, they are beautiful! You did a great job on these.

I too wonder how you were able to get the color? Were the pictures lasered or something else?

Frank Corker
04-12-2008, 5:25 AM
Excellent job Luke. No wonder they are coming back for more. Now you have to reveal your colour methods, have you done that by hand?

Luke Phillips
04-12-2008, 5:40 AM
Excellent job Luke. No wonder they are coming back for more. Now you have to reveal your colour methods, have you done that by hand?

Morning Frank! Thanks to all for the kind comments. The coloring was the easiest part - just used the color print option on my laser ;)

Just kidding - couldn't resist! The piece is lasered on black marble and hand colored with soft pastels then sprayed with a fixative. It really is easy to do - the etched stone accepts color very well and you get some nice depth and contrast. Pastels allow color blending - I just use my finger tip to do that.