PDA

View Full Version : Pioneer Chair

Mike Peace
04-11-2008, 6:42 PM
Here is a Pioneer chair I made patterned after one by Scott Phillips in a recent "Woodcraft" magazine. The two cross braces and sides are made of white oak and the slats are made from some redwood siding my brother gave me. Finished with some spar varnish.

Scott Phillips also shows how to make this chair in an episode of the American Woodshop on woodworkingchannel.com. He says the design came from Ireland in the early 1800's and the chair was used by the early settlers because it could easily hang on the side of wagon.

Thanks for looking.

Rick Malloy
04-11-2008, 6:56 PM
Nice chair, does the seat just slide out and nest into the back for storage?

gary Zimmel
04-12-2008, 9:43 AM
Very nice looking pioneer chair Mike.

Robert Strebler
04-12-2008, 9:58 AM
Mike, I have that Woodcraft magazine and was contemplating making a couple. Your version looks great! How comfortable is it?

John Thompson
04-12-2008, 10:23 AM
Very nice and a very clever design by someone from the past...

Sarge..

Mike Peace
04-12-2008, 1:45 PM
Mike, I have that Woodcraft magazine and was contemplating making a couple. Your version looks great! How comfortable is it?

It appears to be more comfortable than a metal folding chair, but I admit I have not had a chance to use it. Will know after the next woodworking meeting where we have to take our own chair. The article says it weighs 22 lbs. I cut the back down by one slat and substituting redwood for the oak slats cut the weight to 16 lb. It is still larger than a folding chair to shlep in and out of a car.

Mike Peace
04-12-2008, 1:47 PM
Nice chair, does the seat just slide out and nest into the back for storage?

Yes, it only slides down a few inches with the feet sliding just a few inches past the first cross brace to lock in for traveling.