PDA

View Full Version : Turning Oak

Greg Just
04-11-2008, 6:03 PM
I just notice a very large oak tree fell over in the back woods. We had some very strong winds last night. Winter is far from over here in Minnesota. The base of the tree is in my neighbors yard and the upper half is in mine. I'm sure he will let me have as much as I want. The base is probably 24 inches in diameter. The question is - is it worth getting as much as I can? I have never turned oak before.

Steve Schlumpf
04-11-2008, 6:20 PM
Greg - grab as much as you can! I have seen some absolutely beautiful stuff turned out of oak by folks here on SMC. Great chance to build up your wood supplies - do it!

Mike Peace
04-11-2008, 6:47 PM
I like turning oak. It sometimes has spalting that adds character. If it is red oak, be sure to ventilate your shop and clean up your lathe bed as it has a pungent aroma and the wet shavings can sure stain your cast iron lathe bed.

Ben Gastfriend
04-11-2008, 8:28 PM
Turn it wet, finish turn when dry. Its some great wood, turns great, and has really nice grain. Allow it to spalt, and you've got even more great figure! I made this bowl from spalted oak.

Richard Madison
04-11-2008, 10:32 PM
Greg,
If you get long logs (4 ft) wax the ends & store under cover, out of rain and direct sun. If short logs, or to make bowl blanks, chainsaw through the center, removing 1"-2" of the pith if possible. Wax the ends and a couple inches down the cut surface. Same storage, indoors if feasible. Bowl blank- chainsaw, whittle, whatever as round as feasible. Coat lathe bed with Boeshield T9, oil, grease, or something. Cover that with 6 mil plastic. Rough turn the bowl to uniform thickness of the usual 10% of the diameter. Moisten with wet sponge while turning and seal a plastic bag around it if you have to leave it for more than a few minutes. M. Mouse has suggested removing excess water from end grain by blowing compressed air through it. After that, opinions vary. I would wax the entire bowl and store for a year.

It's a hassle and you will lose some, and some can be saved with epoxy. But well worth the work when successful. Oak makes beautiful stuff, and I love it.

Greg Just
04-11-2008, 11:03 PM
Thanks - as soon as the weather clears I'll get out there and cut up as much as I can. It's still snowing a little tonight - can't wait for winter to end!

Bernie Weishapl
04-11-2008, 11:30 PM
Ditto what has been said. Get what you can. It is some good turning wood. When it drys make sure the tools are sharp.

George Guadiane
04-12-2008, 11:58 AM
Greg - grab as much as you can! I have seen some absolutely beautiful stuff turned out of oak by folks here on SMC. Great chance to build up your wood supplies - do it!
As an added note, seal the end grain and/or any blanks that you cut, oak tends to split.