PDA

View Full Version : Lord Elephantea

Raymond Overman
04-11-2008, 1:24 PM
This is the third of my Mad Hatter's Teapot series and gives homage to the mighty elephant with a handle that curls back toward the body in the shape of a tusk. The plume on the lid denotes royalty and the piece stands lightly on a necklace of black claws which were paid in tribute.

This piece includes an eastern cedar body, cherry handle, blackwood feet and top with a carved madrone burl finial.

It stands about 9" tall and is about 8" wide and is finished with lacquer. I think I'm going to knock the finish back down to a matte so that the reflections don't interfere with the wood grain as much. What do you think?

Comments and critique welcome.

Tony De Masi
04-11-2008, 2:44 PM
Raymond, I really love this piece. Your creativity is starting to blossom. As for the finish I think I would have to see it in person to give an opinion on whether you should knock it down some or leave it be.

Tony

Steve Schlumpf
04-11-2008, 5:57 PM
Raymond,

Well, you gotta admit that is different! I give you credit for imagination and a good use of color! This one does fit in with your artistic Tea Pot series and I think has a lot of charactor! Love the feet, the trunk and the overall shape of the 'pot'. As far as finish - I would leave it as is - I can see the wood grain just fine! While I have to admit I am more of a traditionalist when it comes to turnings - this one reaches out simply due to it's 'fantasy' factor!

Great example of imagination! I look forward to your next 'non-traditional' turning!

Jim Becker
04-11-2008, 9:17 PM
That's really great, Raymond!

Richard Madison
04-11-2008, 9:57 PM
Unqualified to comment on artistic merit, but agree with Steve on the finish. A high quality, high gloss lacquer finish is a thing of beauty. If it is not defective, do not repair it.

Tom Sherman
04-12-2008, 6:32 AM
Ray I think I would like it either way, but I think a softer sheen might be nice.

Bernie Weishapl
04-12-2008, 12:07 PM
Beautiful piece Raymond. Finish is great.

Glenn Hodges
04-12-2008, 1:57 PM
Raymond I like the glossy finish. If you ever do another one the only thing I would change is to make the handle and body joint less visible. The wood choice was a wise one, and the creavity is surperb.

Don Eddard
04-12-2008, 5:21 PM
I appreciate and respect the skill and work that went into it, but the end result doesn't really send me aesthetically. I liked you Mad Hatter teapot better, but that's just my opinion. And I really like gloss finishes, but I think a more satin look would work well for this one.