PDA

View Full Version : Mission bookcase and Mantle pics

Bob Marino
03-28-2004, 12:53 PM
This is my first attempt at picture posting on SMC, so I hope it turns out ok. :confused:
These are pics of a Mission bookcase and mantle project I did a while ago. It was loosely based on the plans in Wood magazine. It took way longer than had initially thought though. Mostly qswo, the carcases are oak ply and the panels on the doors are qswo veneer. The wood was stained with a forgotten mix of aniline dyes, then Sealcoat, then a glaze. Topcoated with the Maloof oil/varnish mixture and for some reason, I felt the need to but another coat of wipe on poly. Not glossy, though it appears so in the pics.

The joinery was loose tenons and bisquits.

Thanks for looking.

Bob

Jim Becker
03-28-2004, 12:54 PM
Outstanding, Bob!! Great work and the pics are nice, too...:D

Christian Aufreiter
03-28-2004, 1:17 PM
Very nice job, Bob. I really like the design of the glass.

Regards,

Christian

Jim Harsha
03-28-2004, 1:21 PM
Well done Bob! The finish looks superb.

Tyler Howell
03-28-2004, 1:39 PM
Too Nice Bob. Love the Old styles.

TJH

John Miliunas
03-28-2004, 1:50 PM
Damn, a woodworking tools rep with WW skills to match the tools he sells! What'll they think of next?! :D Awesome job there, Bob! Very, very classy look. I'm impressed! :cool:

Todd Burch
03-28-2004, 1:52 PM
Great job Bob! Gotta love that QSWO! The color looks great. Everything looks like a nice fit too.

So, you have to tell us Bob - what Festool tools played a part in its construction? (besides sanders!)

Todd

Bob Marino
03-28-2004, 2:20 PM
Great job Bob! Gotta love that QSWO! The color looks great. Everything looks like a nice fit too.

So, you have to tell us Bob - what Festool tools played a part in its construction? (besides sanders!)

Todd

Thanks guys for the comments.

Oh, the usual cast of charactors toolwise. The saw and rails probably made the most difference in handling the oak ply, the router for edge work and the sanders,..well for sanding. Since some of the project was done indoors, the system worked superbly as far dust collection goes.
This is the last project done without the benefit of planer and jointer...thank God!
I am currently working on a mission sofa, (with panels instead of rails).
Now that I figured out how to post a pic (with some help), I will post some pics as I go along.

Bob

Tony Sade
03-28-2004, 4:04 PM
I think QSWO just might be my favorite. Keep the pictures coming!

Kirk (KC) Constable
03-28-2004, 4:31 PM
Looks good, Bob. Is that a Craftsman house? The windows above look 'Craftsmany'...

KC

Jack Diemer
03-28-2004, 4:42 PM
Very, Very nice.

Bruce Page
03-28-2004, 6:18 PM
Beautiful work Bob, I really like the warm & rich color. Are the glass panels beveled?

Waymon Campbell
03-28-2004, 6:27 PM
Beautiful Bob. And I especially like how the green wall sets off the finish. Very nice.

Bob Marino
03-28-2004, 6:28 PM
[QUOTE=Kirk (KC) Constable]Looks good, Bob. Is that a Craftsman house? The windows above look 'Craftsmany'...

Kirk,

The house was built in 1925 and the style is a blend of styles; probably more of a Dutch colonial, but my wife and I do love the Craftsman look. She chose the pattern for the stained glass windows.

Bob

Bob Marino
03-28-2004, 6:39 PM
Beautiful work Bob, I really like the warm & rich color. Are the glass panels beveled?

Bruce,

If you are referring to the glass panels in the bookcase, no, they are cut and "framed" with lead and set into a rabbet in the door. I then made the muntins (mullions?) for the glass. If I were to do it over, I would have done that part differently though - wasn't the look I was after.

Bob

Daniel Rabinovitz
03-29-2004, 11:01 AM
Bob
They are very nice.
What a trerrific piece of workmanship.
Daniel :cool:

Robert Goodwin
03-29-2004, 11:12 AM
Wonderfull. I have that issue of wood magazine, and you certainly did it justice.

Chris Padilla
03-29-2004, 11:35 AM
Nice work, Bob! However, I gotta complaint!! :mad:

Those pics aren't big enough!! :D I think I see a little black/green in one of them pics, too! :D

Pete Lamberty
03-29-2004, 2:04 PM
You did a beautiful job, Bob. It looks very well planned. Great job.

Howard Rosenberg
03-29-2004, 4:22 PM
You did a beautiful job and you have KILLER taste. Howard

Brian Hale
03-29-2004, 5:38 PM
Bob

Great looking piece! Looks like you put a lot of work into it and it and it turned out nice. There's just something about QSWO that says classic quality craftsmanship.

Brian :)

Kent Cori
03-29-2004, 6:03 PM
Wow! Hubba hubba! Beautiful!

What more can I say? :)

Lloyd Robins
03-30-2004, 12:35 AM
Wow! Very nice job. Did you get to use your nonelectron eating tools also? :p

Kelly C. Hanna
03-30-2004, 2:06 AM
Excellent work Bob...I love the Mission style and you did it proud.

Jason Tuinstra
03-31-2004, 9:42 AM
Bob, WOW!!! I love this. I'm glad you started to post pictures because this is truly fantastic! You did a great job.

Mark Valsi
03-31-2004, 10:11 AM
BOB,

Come and do that in my house please !!!