PDA

View Full Version : Pics of the finished bookcase

Larry Browning
03-28-2004, 12:15 PM
Here are a few pics of the finished bookcase. I am not as happy with the finish as I am with the wwing. But, I'm learning. Notice the new saw? :D The last one was taken at the lawyers office.

Larry

Steve Clardy
03-28-2004, 1:35 PM
I really like pieces with fluted stiles. And like the whole overall design. Fantastic work. Steve

David LaRue
03-28-2004, 2:29 PM
Here are a few pics of the finished bookcase. I am not as happy with the finish as I am with the wwing. But, I'm learning. Notice the new saw? :D The last one was taken at the lawyers office.

Larry

I really like your book case. Can you share the details on the construction, wood, and finish?

Dave

Dick Parr
03-28-2004, 2:56 PM
Very Nice Larry!

Tim Morton
03-28-2004, 3:10 PM
Very nice indeed, and the finish looks perfect, the top is nice and clean, and the detail work is impecable...looks like you will get alot of use out of it......once you get it wired up that is!!!

Oh and the bookcase ain't to shabby either :D

Kirk (KC) Constable
03-28-2004, 4:29 PM
Again...that's a fine looking bookcase. I've always liked that basic design, and I'm adding that to my list of things to do 'for me' someday. Are the orders coming in? :D

KC

Larry Browning
03-28-2004, 5:24 PM
Thanks for all the kudos. This was made from a Wood magazine plan from 1992. I found it in a book "The Best of Wood Book 1" I followed the plan almost exactly. It is made from cherry plywood and cherry trim. I used transfast dye stain and finished with 3 coats of poly. I needed to match his other furniture which was a very dark redish color, I mixed medium redish brown with dark walnut to get the color. I lightly thinned the poly (added about 10% thinner) I have always had trouble with full strength poly running and I think I should have thinned it a little more as I got a few runs. I just can't seem to get the coats thin enough to prevent running. Anyway the lawyer was happy with it.

Larry

Ken Fitzgerald
03-28-2004, 5:35 PM
Larry,
The workmanship looks good on the bookcase. I'd be proud to have made it. Did I understand you correctly.....you took your last new saw from a lawyer's office? :D

Ken

Larry Browning
03-28-2004, 5:47 PM
Larry,
The workmanship looks good on the bookcase. I'd be proud to have made it. Did I understand you correctly.....you took your last new saw from a lawyer's office? :D

Ken
Ken,
Yeah, that's right. Weird, huh? :D

Bruce Page
03-28-2004, 6:05 PM
Larry, Very classy looking!

Nice Job!

Daniel Rabinovitz
03-29-2004, 11:03 AM
Larry
It georgeous!
Daniel :cool:

Robert Goodwin
03-29-2004, 11:08 AM
I see nothing wrong with the finish from here. Great work!

John Miliunas
03-29-2004, 11:39 AM
A very choice looking piece, Larry! I also agree with Steve that the fluting really sets off the stiles very nicely. Great job! :cool:

Tyler Howell
03-29-2004, 12:20 PM
Arteest is in the house! Too nice Larry

Teresa Jones
03-29-2004, 1:52 PM
Boy, your bookcase turned out perfectly.

Everyone wants to know how long it took it me to build my version. I don't have a clue, honestly.

I am thinking I need one of those old punch time clocks to keep track of project investments. But then again, maybe not!!

I hope you enjoyed this project as much as I did. I have to admit, I beam a little every time I pass through my living room!!

Great craftsmanship!

TJ

Kent Cori
03-29-2004, 6:12 PM
Geez Larry, after looking at the photos of this beautiful bookcase, I can hardly wait until you post pics of something you do like! That deep red finish ala the Bombay Company is definetely not my favorite (or even in the top 1 billion). However, realize that you were doing this for a lawyer so the bar needs to be lowered. (Written by an engineer of course.) :D

Frank Pellow
03-29-2004, 6:39 PM
Very nice. I particularly like the efect of the built-in lighting with the finish.

Larry Browning
03-29-2004, 7:16 PM
Geez Larry, after looking at the photos of this beautiful bookcase, I can hardly wait until you post pics of something you do like! That deep red finish ala the Bombay Company is definetely not my favorite (or even in the top 1 billion). However, realize that you were doing this for a lawyer so the bar needs to be lowered. (Written by an engineer of course.) :D
Man Kent!
You nailed the color I was trying to match. He gave a drawer from a Bombay table to match. I guess this proves I matched it.

Larry Browning
03-29-2004, 7:25 PM
Boy, your bookcase turned out perfectly.

Everyone wants to know how long it took it me to build my version. I don't have a clue, honestly.

I am thinking I need one of those old punch time clocks to keep track of project investments. But then again, maybe not!!

I hope you enjoyed this project as much as I did. I have to admit, I beam a little every time I pass through my living room!!

Great craftsmanship!

TJ
Teresa,
I claim to be the slowest ww'er on the planet. This took me around 2 months of working about 2-3 hrs on week nights(2-3 nights a week) and 8-12 hrs each weekend. What is that? about 3 bazillion hours? I don't even want to know. I figure I made about 50 cents an hour. Not bad for my 1st paying project :confused:

Larry