PDA

View Full Version : "Touching Up" A Router Bit

Keith Starosta
04-11-2008, 9:22 AM
I just started using a brand new Whiteside raised panel bit, and it's doing a great job so far. I'm going to be running a bunch of QSWO through the bit, so I'm anticipating a need for some carbide sharpening. What do you guys use to give an occasional "touch up" to your router bits?

Thanks!!

- Keith

Brian Kincaid
04-11-2008, 9:45 AM
I have a Grizzly H7618 Diamond Sharpening on Handles 4 pc. Set
Works pretty well for router bits (carbide).

I also purchased Rockler Diamond Sharpener - Medium 2'' X 6'' and Diamond Sharpener - Superfine 2'' X 6'' for my hand tools, but they don't work too well for router bits.

I always clean them really well before sharpening. Don't take too much metal off! One of my books recommends two or three swipes tops. :)

Brian

Joe Scharle
04-11-2008, 10:03 AM
I use a fine diamond 'credit card' to hone the inside faces; from Woodcraft. Don't forget to remove the bearings and don't touch the outside profile!

Byron Trantham
04-11-2008, 10:52 AM
Frankly one of the best ways to sharpen a router bit is to CLEAN it! I am always amazed how sharp a blade feels after cleaning it.

Tom Walz
04-11-2008, 3:40 PM
DMT has a nice little set of 3; coarse, fine and extra fine. Model # D2K
I like mine. These are a great, general purpose size.

Tom

Bob Levy
04-11-2008, 9:54 PM
I had the same question and yesterday I just spoke to the people at Whiteside to see if they resharpen their raised panel bits. I spent a ton of money on it so I was a little scared to try to sharpen it myself and then ruin it. They said they could resharpen it for $8 plush shipping. I thought that sounded like a good deal, if they could return the bit to original factory specs.