PDA

View Full Version : "Weekend Doin's"

Karl Laustrup
04-11-2008, 6:30 AM
Friday, April 11, 2008

GOOD MORNING "CREEKERS"!

Well, after two days in the 60's last weekend, we've been lucky to see the 40's this week. Had about an inch of snow Tuesday night. Yesterday, rain most of the day with wind. Gusts up around 45 MPH. Some thunder/lightning last night and the rivers are on the rise. More rain today with it changing to snow tonight. :( Will this winter ever end??? I'm not complaining though, cause it could always be worse. :eek:

Big B-day party Saturday for oldest son. The big 40. How he got to be that old, when LOML and I have retained our youth, I'll never know. ;)
About 20 guests and a lot of food. I'll be doing some Texas style beef ribs on the grill [maybe in the middle of a snow storm] and making Al's Tequilaberry salad. Thanks again Al for that recipe.

May try and sneak out to the shop on Sunday for a while and clean some more. We'll see. Sunday afternoon will be devoted to "The Masters".

As Willard would say, "What's up in your neck of the woods". Fun, games, work, play, mischief, goof off. Pick one, or more, of the preceding and let us know what you'll be up to this weekend.

Have a good weekend and above all be SAFE.

Karl

John Keeton
04-11-2008, 6:45 AM
Karl

The shop will be temporarily ignored this weekend! Turkey season comes in tomorrow morning, and I have a limited number of days to put turkey meat in the freezer for gatherings. Haven't had an opportunity to get out to scout much, but there are plenty of birds, and seems the breeding activity is going to peak at about the right time this year.

If it rains - another story! I plan to complete my DC project if my order of flex and blastgates comes in. Otherwise, I will be working on building some new Azek windows for my shop to replace the aluminum sliders that leak like there aren't any windows there!

Weatherman is calling for cool temps, breezy and scattered rain showers, so it is hit or miss for the weekend!

Steve Campbell
04-11-2008, 7:31 AM
Karl; Have a good weekend yourself. The rain changed over to snow last night about 5:00 pm. By 8:30 we had about 3" of wet heavy snow. Then with 40mph winds a Big pine was snapped off down the block.
took the power lines down. The whole town lost all power. The sparks sure were flying around here for quite a while. Had the fire department, Police, and Village work crew all on the scene. I can't believe they had the tree cleared up and the power back on by 10:30 last night. Thank you to all the power line workers out there that have to leave their warm homes on nights like last night so the rest of us can stay warm.

Have a great weekend eveyone.

Steve

alex grams
04-11-2008, 7:51 AM
Got all the lumber for the wife's new desk last night (all walnut with a birdseye maple top). Started milling it all down.

Now to get proficient at making rail and stiles, and not killing and mangling the rails (got to develop a router sled for this).

Hopefully the boss doesn't have me working Saturday :(

Matt Meiser
04-11-2008, 8:57 AM
My main woodworking activity will be working on my daughter's bookshelf that I started two weeks ago. I need to built a face frame for it, cut all the shelves, and had hardwood edge banding to the front of them. I also might look at some changes I want to make to my workbench. We have snow in our forecast for tomorrow. They don't have any amounts so one would assume it won't stick. Overall it is going to be a good weekend to stay inside.

jeremy levine
04-11-2008, 9:29 AM
Before it gets to hot, it's time for insulation in the attic.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-11-2008, 9:35 AM
I suppose there rwill be more yard work....turn on the irrigation/sprinkler system and check operation. Let it wet down the fertilizer I put down last weekend.

Maybe some shop time.
Final dc connections to my t/s.

Brian Penning
04-11-2008, 9:37 AM
Plugging away on this Maloof style sitting bench....
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f193/Bri68/IMG_3321.jpg?t=1207920982

Dennis Peacock
04-11-2008, 10:41 AM
Howdy Karl..!!!!!

Just working the day job this weekend and then gotta go see family (FIL) while his health is holding up. Family time as best I can and working with the family on a garden to help offset grocery cost.

Have a great weekend!!!

Jim Becker
04-11-2008, 10:45 AM
My weekend is starting TODAY this week...I'm taking the day off after two weeks of travel (San Diego and Orlando/Tampa including one weekend day...and I'll be working on stuff for the addition. That will include hanging the LCD TV and working on the new master closet. I will also hopefully move all the drawers and doors into the vanities and finally get them out of my shop...I've been worried about damage, etc. Professor Dr. SWMBO has the YMCA run this weekend, so I have a pretty clear schedule to keep moving on things that need done.

Ben Cadotte
04-11-2008, 12:01 PM
Just left home for work in Lake Charles again. Spent most of last week in the shop rearranging and cleaning. Some tool tune ups as well. So this weekend is some work / internet browsing while away. Have the shop almost the way I want it. Just have to clean the far end of stuff that is still boxed up from the move. Have a couple items I bought that need assembly, but in no rush as I don't need them till late summer.

Other than planning / day dreaming of the mega shop. Not much else going on for me.

Steven Shelby
04-11-2008, 12:06 PM
Morning, Karl!

Looks like it's gonna rain this weekend. But that probably won't stop me from moving the camper from the side of the house to the driveway. Next weekend will be our "shake down" trip for the season. So we'll be cleaning and stocking the camper for a good part of the weekend.

I still have one door to complete on DW's diningroom hutch/buffet/thingee. I swear, it will be done soon! I'll probably get up early, take the Shop Dog with me, and work on it early Saturday. Hopefully I can begin finishing by Sunday.

Other than that, I expect I'll be watching my Red Sox battle the Evil Empire and, of course, I have to watch the Masters (especially on Sunday)

Sounds boring, I know. But I really love my life, so what the heck!

Have a great weekend, everyone!!!

Tyler Howell
04-11-2008, 12:23 PM
Hope this weather clears so I can move to the outside punch list.
House is listed for sale (should go fast in this great sellers market:(:()
Going to spend a few more days in town getting projects done then headed north.

David DeCristoforo
04-11-2008, 12:31 PM
Well, this is a great weekend for me! Right after I "whacked" my hand, my son decided to try making his fortune in LA. After working together since he was 14, this was a huge "blow", having him move. But he and his GF have had their fill of la la land and are moving back here this weekend. So I'm on the barbie cooking up a feast!

Jerome Hanby
04-11-2008, 12:39 PM
Weather permitting (not likely) I've got to mow the back jungle..err I mean yard. Set up the first assembly of Baby Girl's Maryville Bed on drop cloths so the girls can start painting it while I work on getting the rest of it shellacked to seal all of that MDF. If there is any leftover time, hopefully I can cut more drum wheels for my thicknessing sander project.

Brian Penning
04-11-2008, 12:43 PM
Hmmmm....nobody is watching the Masters??

David DeCristoforo
04-11-2008, 12:48 PM
"...nobody is watching the Masters??"

Is that a woodworking show?

Greg Hines, MD
04-11-2008, 1:02 PM
I need to clean up the garage shop, so will probably do that. I also have some walnut that I have been saving for making a quilt rack for the wife, so weather permitting, I may start chopping that up.

Doc

Jacob Reverb
04-11-2008, 1:26 PM
Doing some scarf joints on 1/4" lauan for camo grass holders/spray rails on a duck boat.

Building a plywood 2x12" speaker cabinet for my guitar amp.

Watching the grass grow in the rain... :cool:

Skyp Nelson
04-11-2008, 1:30 PM
Gluing on the replacable top for my RAS ('56 DeWalt;)), giving it a through tune-up, then work on the drawers for the work tables I made the Mrs.

Jim Kirkpatrick
04-11-2008, 1:39 PM
I just scored 10 sheets of 3/4"x4'x'8' birch plywood at BORG for $30/ sheet. Going to start on some shop cabs to replace the hand me downs I have now.
And yes Dave, I will be watching The Masters!

Raymond Fries
04-11-2008, 4:27 PM
Going to finish the last of a set of five steps for various locations for my wife's 18 year old cat. The lil critter can not get to everywhere she needs to go without slipping.:)

They have really improved the cats disposition. She has gotten her independence back - Seems to be a must for the cats.

JohnT Fitzgerald
04-11-2008, 4:32 PM
Hi Karl....

not sure - supposed to rain here, so it's a good chance to putter around. I **finally** got my corner of the basement back from 2 large dog/animal crates where we kept my FIL's cat - long story, thankfully a shelter took her - and I plan on cleaning up and then planning out a dividing wall, bench, cabinets, location for the TS, and other assorted items that'll probably take me all summer to complete. :)

John Keeton
04-12-2008, 8:12 PM
I know this isn't the Outdoor Channel, and it sure ain't woodworking, but that there is some "Weekend Doin's"!!! The good lookin' guy on the right is my son and we bagged both birds within 5 minutes and were leavin' the woods at 7:12am. Just had to gloat, so forgive me for being "off topic", but it really is a followup to my earlier post. These are memories worth makin'.