PDA

View Full Version : "Good" bits not so good!

Ben Cadotte
04-10-2008, 11:33 PM
Bought a set of HSS brad point bits from Amazon (MLCS). While installing the standards for some wall shelving. The 3/16" bit broke half way into the first hole! Was drilling into 1/2" plywood. I then switched to the 11/64ths bit and had no problem drilling 55 holes with it. I kept the broken one intended to send it back to MLCS but then decided it wasn't worth the time or money to complain about it. They were made in China. Thought I was getting a decent set, didn't pay attention to where they came from when I was ordering. I guess I just assumed since I was paying a little bit more for them and they were listed as HSS they would be from a decent manufacturer.

One bit doesn't make the whole box bad, but it didn't even finish one hole in softwood plywood. I was not pushing hard and was drilling stright in. Just very dissapointed.

Stephen Edwards
04-11-2008, 12:00 AM
My guess is that MCLS would replace it free of charge if you call them and tell them what happened.

Phil Thien
04-11-2008, 8:23 AM
I have a set of U.S. made brad-point bits that I purchased over ten years ago from Woodworker's Supply. The set includes 18 bits from 1/16 to 1/2". "Wait," you say, "you gotta be missing some bits." Indeed, they did pick and choose which bits to include, making sure I'd get the most popular/common sizes.

Over the years I haven't had a need for any bits that weren't included until this week, when I needed an 11/32" bit. I went to my local Woodcraft store where they had German-made Colt bits and they also had those bit sets of "one million bits," with several bits each of the same size. The sets were made in China, and were "a bargain" at $29.

The Woodcraft guy opened a set for me so I could compare the bits to the German-made Colt bit, and the difference was night and day. The made-in-China bit was very rough, while the German made bit was a thing of beauty (if you can say that about a drill bit). So I paid $3.50 for the single 11/32 German-made bit and let them keep the China-made $29 set.

JayStPeter
04-11-2008, 9:23 AM
I agree with Stephen, but I don't usually buy from MLCS anymore. I've had the same kind of experience with their router bits. I've gotten a few sets with some dull out of the box and some great. It's not worth the hassle and/or ruined parts to me anymore. The forstner bits I bought there have been good though. My brad points come from LV and are excellent, but not inexpensive.

Peter Quinn
04-11-2008, 9:45 AM
Good bits are..well..good. Cheap bits are..well...scary. Its the ones in the middle that seem to disappoint the most.

I don't know what you paid from MLCS but I'm guessing from purchasing their shaper cutters that they are actually low to mid grade as is most of their product line. The stuff works typically but lacks the precision and finess of better tooling.

I primarily use a small set of German made Fisch brad points that cost me $45 on close out a few years ago (6 bit set) and they have performed extremely well. I have also used the Colt bits from WC in both HSS and carbide, they work great. I also have some very long 1/2" brad points from forrest City that run $25 per bit and they work great too.

I bought some cheap chinese forschners and a few Freud diablo forschners, the Freud's cost more per bit then the whole set of chinese bits, but they cut cleaner, easier and more predictably. They stay sharp longer too. When I drill a whole I need to count on its the Freud's I reach for.

Most of the cheap to mid grade tooling is a false economy as they use inferior steel and inferior machining to hit the price point. When the chinese make things on par with good North American and European goods they really only discount 10%-15%. Any additional price difference is generally directly reflected in compromised quality.

Ben Cadotte
04-11-2008, 10:09 AM
Good bits are..well..good. Cheap bits are..well...scary. Its the ones in the middle that seem to disappoint the most.

I was under the impression that these were at least decent bits (my impression of MLCS items). Basicaly I think I paid medium amount of money for "cheap" bits. I passed on the obviously "cheap" bits wanting to get a decent set. Already been burned by the cheap chinese mega sets where the bits are dull, wrong sized, bent.

Think what I need to start doing is just buying the sizes I use the most in high quality bits and forget the sets.

Dave Falkenstein
04-11-2008, 11:57 AM
...I kept the broken one intended to send it back to MLCS but then decided it wasn't worth the time or money to complain about it....

Rather than complaining about the bit in public, why not give MLCS an opportunity to make it right? A phone call is likely all it would take. If you decide to do that, please let us know the outcome.