PDA

View Full Version : dymond wood

Craig Hogarth
04-10-2008, 8:58 PM
I had a chance to play with some dymond wood. I'm not sure of the terminology, but it's a plywood that has a ton of resin in it, making it extremely hard.

One of my customers who owns a CNC uses it religiously. You can order it with the inner plys a different color. Unfortunately, with my 35 watt, i wasn't able to get down to the inner ply and even if I did, it'd probably be pitch black. I tried cutting it as well, with the last attempt being 100p, 1sp and 1000DPI and I still wasn't even able to make it to the inner ply.

I just figured I'd share. Who knows, maybe I'll save someone a few bucks in the future ;)

http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/224/dymondkw7.png

Skip Weiser
04-10-2008, 10:47 PM
I cut a lot of it on a cnc router also, from .110 thick to .375 in various colors. It's made by Rutland Plywood in Rutland VT. They take layers of Baltic Birch veneer and somehow heat it, press it, and inject dyes and resin into it. They make many different colors. It's a trade secret on how they actually do it. I've seen it from 1/16" thick to 1 1/2" thick. All the sheets I get are about 18" x 32" in size. It makes a great water resistant wood for knife handles, pistol grips and gun stocks to name a few of its uses.

I haven't had much luck lasering it either. You can raster it like your picture shows, but it's tough to cut because it's so dense and has all that resin in it.

I agree that even if you could burn down to the other color (the pieces I experimented with were solid color), it's going to turn black on you. But I was able to spray it with some Windex and wipe off the black to lighten it up. Try a couple of passes maybe?

Skip