PDA

View Full Version : Granite RT Top?

Troy Cleckler
04-10-2008, 7:38 PM
I've read a lot of threads talking about price being a main issue for not using granite for the table top. What if, it was given to you and the router plate hole cut out of it would also be at no charge? I'm going to use the Incra Ultra Lite on it and will probably clamp it down using the suggested 3/4 plywood base and clamps. Haven't thought much about having the need of a miter slot, will use the right angle attachment that slides on the fence.

I talked to the fabricator today and he cannot mill the step needed for the plate to sit on but can cut a close fit all the way through for the plate. What I was thinking was using wood to attach to the front & back of the cabinet running accross the bottom of the slab and up into the cutout to make a ledge for the router to sit on. I was thinking about using some type of appoxy between the wood & granite. I know it sounds confussing but to me it's clear as mud!:confused: The plate has leveling screws in the corners for the fine adjustments.

Is it worth the time & effort to spend trying to make this work?

Peter Quinn
04-10-2008, 7:50 PM
Yes sir, I like it. Bet it will look cool too. Can he radius the edges for you too, maybe a nice soft round over? Question...how will you connect the fence?

Maurice Ungaro
04-10-2008, 8:00 PM
The 12" round router plate from Lee Valley does not require a rabbet, or "step", as the plate is brought flush with the top via levelers attached to the plate. A picture is worth a lot of words, so go to their website and check it out. I mean, if you're getting the opening cut for nothing......

Troy Cleckler
04-10-2008, 8:10 PM
Yes sir, I like it. Bet it will look cool too. Can he radius the edges for you too, maybe a nice soft round over? Question...how will you connect the fence?

The Incra Base is mounted to a piece of 3/4 ply and clamped to the top. The top will be approx 24"x36" and the router base will be offset to one end.

Anthony Whitesell
04-10-2008, 9:27 PM
What about using a through the table adjustable router base instead of a router lift with a plate? I know both Bosch and Porter-Cable make them. The Bosch Part number is RA1165. This would only require a series of holes to be drilled in the granite and no lips or ledges.

Greg Hines, MD
04-10-2008, 10:07 PM
I forget where I saw it, but one of the major companies has corner blocks that you screw to the underside of a straight opening, and it has adjustable posts to support the edge of your plate. If you were to epoxy these sorts of blocks into the corners, or epoxy a threaded insert for screwing them to your top, you would not need a rabbet.

Doc

Here is what I was thinking of, from Kreg.

Doc

Mike Heidrick
04-10-2008, 10:45 PM
There is a member on woodnet that is making these with a CNC setup. Maybe he could help you. Search there for ganite router tables.

Greg Hines, MD
04-11-2008, 10:09 AM
It did not put my edit to the top of the posting list, so I will put it here. Kreg (www.kregtool.com (http://www.kregtool.com)) has under-the-table levelers, as seen below, that would work for your project, and avoid having to rout a rabbet to hold your plate.

Doc