PDA

View Full Version : Delta LA200 Lathe for beginner????

Shawn Honeychurch
04-10-2008, 7:17 PM
Hi All;

I am considering getting into turning, and am wondering if the Delta LA200 is a good starter lathe for someone wanting to start with small bowls and such, no pens.

Total budget max is $500.00

Thanks
Shawn

Tom Hamilton
04-10-2008, 7:52 PM
Hi Shawn and welcome to the shallow end. The deep end is one small step in any direction. :eek:

Yes, the Delta is a great starter lathe. That's what I bought off Amazon last Sept for $125 on the tip of a Creeker who posted they had three at that price. So, shop, buy new or used or equivilent, (Jet, etc) and jump in.

You don't need many tools to start ( more about that in a minute), a chuck is nice, I like the Talons but all are good, and start watching for roadside wood.

Now, the most important point: check out your local turning club and buy some instructor time. Your instructor will show you which tools to get. Starting out you probably don't need more than 3-4. (The $40 Harbor Freight set, in the wooden book, is a good buy) I've got books and videos coming out my ear, but an hour with an instructor is worth all those 10X over.

Just so you know, I've now got the Delta and a 3520B, plus all the support gear and turn something daily.

Step carefully the ice is thin.

Best regards, Tom, in Houston, wading nose deep in turning and loving it.

Shawn Honeychurch
04-10-2008, 8:07 PM
Thanks for the info Tom;

There is a wood working shop about 2 blocks from me that offers monthly beginner classes so i am going to sign up this weekend, before I actually buy anything. I agree that time with an instructor is invaluable.

As for the shallow and the deep end, I've been in the deep end all my life. :D

Shawn

Bernie Weishapl
04-10-2008, 11:14 PM
Shawn I had a delta midi. Good lathe. I gave it to my nephew for Christmas so he could start woodturning as he always turned when he came here. Anyway I went with the Rikon because like you I don't do many pens but it does have a 12" so you can do a 11 1/2" bowl plus lidded boxes, ornaments, etc. I think they are $249 but Woodcraft is having a sale I think this Saturday with 10% off. Just a thought.

Jim Evans
04-11-2008, 8:37 AM
Are you close to Tulsa, Ok?
I going to sell my Jet 1236 starting next week. I have to work this weekend or it would be sooner.
I'm moving up - ordered the PM 3520B this week.

Brian Brown
04-11-2008, 11:28 AM
I have a Delta LA 200 and I really like it for a starter lathe, and a long time keeper since I really don't have the room or budget for anything else. Members here also think highly of the Jet mini's. I have no basis of compairison, so I just enjoy what I have. Regardless of what you get, I'm sure you'll enjoy it too. Don't get too caught up in the Chevy vs Ford debate. If your budget allows $500, I agree that a chuck is a good Idea. One Way and Nova get rave reviews, but I also like my Barracuda. For the price, it is hard to beat. Both of the items can be purchased from Amazon.com (use the link from this site). The Delta lathe is $170.00 and the chuck is $150.00 both with free shipping. Both are cheaper than when I got mine two years ago. How irritating is that?

Good luck on your venture into the vortex. Don't wast your money on a life jacket, it won't save you. You're officially a goner! :D

Shawn Honeychurch
04-11-2008, 12:44 PM
Thanks for all the great info folks, as well as the warm welcome.

Rikon and Jet are not options as I am in Canada and neither of them have distributors up here, nor do they sell online up here.

I have been doing some research which is why I settled on the Delta, it gets good reviews, is available locally and will match my Detla TS. :D

Brian, what chuck specifically are you referring to for this lathe?

I just checked on Amazon and they will not ship the lathe or the PSI barracuda chuck I had test selected to Canada, so I will be getting everything locally.

Shawn

Gordon Seto
04-11-2008, 12:46 PM
Don't forget to allow for the budget for tool sharpening and turning tools. A 2" spindle turning at 3000 rpm will cover 1571 linear ft in a minute (that is more than a quarter mile). Your tool would need to be sharpened often.

A good mini is a good way to start. A lathe is the cheapest portion in the turning budget.

Tom gave you good advice on the turning club. That is the best bargain out there. Most clubs have library of books and dvd for members to borrow for free. They may also have almost free hands-on mentoring program or classes. Our clubs also have annual auctions. Members donate their excess tools and wood to the club for auction. You may be able to get some good tools very cheap.

Brian Penning
04-11-2008, 12:57 PM
Since your in Canada there's a good deal at Sears...
http://www.sears.ca/gp/product/B000MG3U1I/105-3516097-4011609?ie=UTF8&searsBrand=core

newer model??
http://www.sears.ca/gp/product/B000V5PIJW/105-3516097-4011609?ie=UTF8&searsBrand=core

Brian Brown
04-11-2008, 3:30 PM
Shawn,

I have a Barracuda 2 chuck by PSI. Their website is www.pennstateind.com. I don't know if they ship to Canada. This chuck isn't perfect, but I find that it works well for most applications as long as you keep the gears lubricated. The best part is that for the $ 170.00 price (it's a little more from Penn State) , you get a spindle adaptor and 4 jaws included. Most chuck makers charge as much as $40.00 for each jaw set. Do a search here at SMC for chucks. I have heard that another company (Gerneral???) makes a chuck that is a direct knock off of one of the better brands, and it is reasonably priced. There are others on this forum that know more about it , and I'm sure they can provide you sith some good advise.