PDA

View Full Version : Dad you old guys used everything up!

Reed Wells
04-10-2008, 6:30 PM
Those were the first words out of my 15 year old future "rock star" daughter as she interrupted my long awaited shop cleaning experience, ya right. So thinking I was going to be responsible for global warming, murdering the whales and forgetting to change the toilet paper roll, I sat down on the stack of frozen pine I just brought in. Heck, hemroids can't be as bad as what I thought was coming. My sweet #1 daughter can't find a name for their band because my generation took all the "good and important names". Now I always thought my generation always had the inside track when it came to naming bands, but to blame dear old dad for the collapse of the music industry was going just a bit to far. She did a google on band names from the fifties on, and it was their general consensus that all the best ones were taken in the 60s and 70s. So I told her that I had one left over from the 60s that they could have if they wanted an old name. The Brass Door Knob, ya, everyone had a band in the 60s. How bout the Electric Prunes, Crazy Elephant, Grass Roots, Blues Magoos, or Strawberry Alarm Clock. You think anyone would mind if they were recycled? Or my all time favorite The 1910 Fruitgum Company. You know, maybe we did take all the good ones. Heck, I think I'll dig the Ludwigs out of the basement.

Jeeze, where's an iron butterfly when you need one.

Gary Herrmann
04-10-2008, 6:49 PM
Have her look around the shop, Reed. Probably lots of potential band names.

Frozen Wood

Bent Nails

or change something a bit

Liquid Screws

hmm, that one ain't bad...

Belinda Barfield
04-10-2008, 6:56 PM
Have her look around the shop, Reed. Probably lots of potential band names.

Frozen Wood

Bent Nails

or change something a bit

Liquid Screws

hmm, that one ain't bad...

Gary, not bad . . . but not for his 15 year old daughter!:eek:

How about Seein' Eye Monkeys, or Port-a-let Princesses? (just joking on that one, but it does have a nice ring). They could keep it simple and just call themselves "Divas", or maybe Drama Queens.

Sadly, I think she's right, all the good ones are taken.

Dennis Peacock
04-10-2008, 8:00 PM
Big Bertha and the Backwoods Band :D

Gary Herrmann
04-10-2008, 8:14 PM
Gary, not bad . . . but not for his 15 year old daughter!:eek:

Ooh, yeah. Didn't think of that. Sorry Reed. See what happens when you have boys?

Ben Grunow
04-10-2008, 8:24 PM
Johnny Ring and the toilet bowls?

Belinda Barfield
04-10-2008, 8:25 PM
The name needs to say something about their generation, so how about
Text Junkies or Twisted Texters.

Sorry, I'm still at work and really need something to break the monotony!

Dennis Peacock
04-10-2008, 9:37 PM
OK....sorry......

How about: The Recessions

:p :D

Joe Pelonio
04-10-2008, 9:46 PM
Really now, many of those names from the 60s and 70s were appropriate for the time and would not be now, if you know what I mean. :eek: And, we had plenty of time to think of band names, no video games, computers, or cell phones. Remember when the big thing was fm?

Belinda Barfield
04-11-2008, 7:30 AM
Really now, many of those names from the 60s and 70s were appropriate for the time and would not be now, if you know what I mean. :eek: And, we had plenty of time to think of band names, no video games, computers, or cell phones. Remember when the big thing was fm?

FFFMMMMMM . . . no static at all.

Chuck Saunders
04-11-2008, 8:14 AM
I was thinking Frozen Pine(s) sounded pretty good.

Mitchell Andrus
04-11-2008, 8:32 AM
Shock and Awe (only for a duet)
The Ringtones
Total Confusion

Norris Randall
04-11-2008, 8:55 AM
Left handed screwdriver just came to mind. :D

Jim Becker
04-11-2008, 8:56 AM
Yea, same problem...different era. :D I remember the same struggle with naming my summer band back in the late 1970s as well as the group I was with for a period of time in the mid-1980s.

Suggest to her "creative" spellings can come into play during this process...

Cliff Rohrabacher
04-11-2008, 9:44 AM
Liquid Screws

Sounds sort of cool but, not one I'd want my daughter to be saddled with.

Andy Hoyt
04-11-2008, 9:53 AM
We had two: Balance and Ten Foot Clearance

Note to ego: We weren't; and four would have been adequate :eek:

Jerry Clark
04-11-2008, 11:07 AM
How about "High Fuel" :D

Jon Lanier
04-11-2008, 1:30 PM
Over The Top

Iron Butterfly

Log Rollers

Steel Conversion

Case and Point

Zero Tolerence

True Center

One Bad Nail

Benjamin Dahl
04-11-2008, 1:54 PM
Mustard Toothpaste
The Unisaws (would be near U2 on the shelves)

Reed Wells
04-11-2008, 2:18 PM
Remember when the big thing was fm?
Joe, I remember the only local station we could get during the day played polka music, lot's of swed's and poles in our area, but after dark we could catch WLS -AM out of Chicago or KAAY out of Little Rock. Both AM stations. Down With Webber!!!!!- lololololo0lolol

Rick Malloy
04-11-2008, 2:32 PM
If being hot is the in thing now then
Global warming
or if being cool is the in thing
New Ice Age

or either one depending on which climatologist you listen to.:D

Jim Becker
04-11-2008, 9:11 PM
Iron Butterfly\

Inna Goda Da Vita, baby! (Sorry, Jon...that name was taken a long time ago!)

Andy Hoyt
04-11-2008, 9:16 PM
I love it when I can correct Becker, especially after he's made a MAJOR error.

It's In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida, baby

Mitchell Andrus
04-12-2008, 8:50 AM
I love it when I can correct Becker, especially after he's made a MAJOR error.

It's In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida, baby

Andy, Andy, Andy.... Can anyone REALLY catch The Beckster in a gaff? He obviously did that to test us.

Jim Becker
04-12-2008, 9:23 AM
So I can't spell a nonsense name... :D ..the IRONy....

Curt Doles
04-18-2008, 3:03 PM
Phil Dirt and the Dozers, obviously a country band!
Curt

Rick Moyer
04-18-2008, 8:56 PM
Yea, same problem...different era. :D I remember the same struggle with naming my summer band back in the late 1970s as well as the group I was with for a period of time in the mid-1980s.

So, what WERE those band names, Jim?

Jim Becker
04-18-2008, 10:38 PM
The summer band was Satin Sound System. (bass, keys, sax, vocals...and a complete set of Barry Manilow tunes every gig. Really. I kid you not!) The business cards looks like satin material, too.

The one in the 1980s never really got a name while I was involved. After nine months of practice (and we were really good), we continued to have problems keeping a singer that wasn't on drugs or totally flaky. I couldn't handle that any more, especially with 60-70 hour work weeks so I bailed. (Retail...running a Radio Shack in a mall) But the music was oh-so-good and the musicianship was the tightest I've ever experienced--everyone had a great feel for each other. We did Pretenders and other great dance rock. Keyboards for me, but for some of the Pretenders stuff, I did the second guitar parts. I really do wish that one would have made it to gigging. I think the band would have been popular on the local circuit.

Jim Creech
04-18-2008, 10:57 PM
Just remind your lovely daughter that if it wasn't for us "Old Guys" she would still be listening to such greats as Glenn Miller, Tommy Dorsey and Duke Ellington!

Steven Hardy
04-23-2008, 3:33 AM
Those were the first words out of my 15 year old future "rock star" daughter as she interrupted my long awaited shop cleaning experience, ya right. So thinking I was going to be responsible for global warming, murdering the whales and forgetting to change the toilet paper roll, I sat down on the stack of frozen pine I just brought in. Heck, hemroids can't be as bad as what I thought was coming. My sweet #1 daughter can't find a name for their band because my generation took all the "good and important names". Now I always thought my generation always had the inside track when it came to naming bands, but to blame dear old dad for the collapse of the music industry was going just a bit to far. She did a google on band names from the fifties on, and it was their general consensus that all the best ones were taken in the 60s and 70s. So I told her that I had one left over from the 60s that they could have if they wanted an old name. The Brass Door Knob, ya, everyone had a band in the 60s. How bout the Electric Prunes, Crazy Elephant, Grass Roots, Blues Magoos, or Strawberry Alarm Clock. You think anyone would mind if they were recycled? Or my all time favorite The 1910 Fruitgum Company. You know, maybe we did take all the good ones. Heck, I think I'll dig the Ludwigs out of the basement.

Jeeze, where's an iron butterfly when you need one.

The rage in the world today.....is JUNK SCIENCE ...theres a name for her!
Or ....how about something thats a tongue twister: Plate Tectonics!!

Mike DeHart
04-26-2008, 5:43 PM
She could call it "Reeds in the Well", and when she hits it big you will be eternally grateful. The couple letters off would be filed under artistic license.

Michael Gibbons
05-03-2008, 10:59 AM
Multi Language Instruction Sheets

Sensitivity Training

Brown Stains

Sewer Pipes

Press 1

Global Warming

Texting Bling

Michael Gibbons
05-03-2008, 11:01 AM
Just remind your lovely daughter that if it wasn't for us "Old Guys" she would still be listening to such greats as Glenn Miller, Tommy Dorsey and Duke Ellington! There's nothing wrong with those guys. Chatanooga Choo Choo and Take the A train are cool.

Craig Summers
05-03-2008, 8:46 PM
Carpe Vitam
Latin for either Get a Life or Sieze the Life (depending on "inflections")
QuarterSawn
Board Stretchers
Curly Tigers
EcoNation
Florateens
Snipe Runners
The Dadoes
Sawmill Creekers (then we would have 'house band')
Any Key
Backspacers
Nanomites (if they are all short)

Primvs Aebvtivs
11-13-2011, 5:46 PM
Reed - what sort of music is your daughter into? Is she 'covering' well known group(s)? If she and her friends are a tribute band they should be able to come up with a parody name somehow... My lad started off as an AC/DC tribute - called IP/OP (they were all computer nerds at school). A couple of names I remember off boards in pubs - "sick on the bus" (punk), "Ill Sun" (how the locals pronounce Ilkeston), and a favourite band to see "Fred Zeppelin" (Led Zeppelin)...

curtis rosche
11-13-2011, 8:56 PM
theres a reason the best names were taken at that time :rolleyes: something to do with people sitting around all day in an altered state of mind made them very creative.

Myk Rian
11-13-2011, 9:05 PM
My brother and I were in a band back in the 60s, called We. Nice and simple.
She's welcome to it.

ray hampton
11-13-2011, 9:22 PM
why the name are so simply that someone should have thought of it NOT DADDY BAND

Dan Hintz
11-14-2011, 6:55 AM
Considering his daughter is 18 or 19 now, my guess is she's no longer interested in band names ;)

Bill Edwards(2)
11-14-2011, 7:10 AM
Iron Butterfly (been done)

Rick Potter
11-14-2011, 1:04 PM
I like Craig's idea of Sawmill Creekers, but I would change it slightly to Sawmill Creakers, and book it soley to the rest home circuit. I get to play the jug!

Rick Potter
Sure, it's an old thread, but still fun.

Myk Rian
11-14-2011, 1:43 PM
Old threads get dug up and renewed all the time. No big deal.

Jim Koepke
11-14-2011, 3:14 PM
How about:

Stan Bailey and the Sweet Hearts

Stan Bailey and the Bed Rockers

Bailey and the Planers

Cast Steel Chisels

Bevel Down Sheets

Wood Hogger and the Raspy Melons

Full Mortice Tenon

Dovetail and the Slides

Sliding Dovetails

Dovetail Overture

And my only chemical enhancement was supplied by my morning coffee.

jtk