PDA

View Full Version : Tormek models

Michael Hammers
04-10-2008, 5:15 PM
I noticed that Amazon has the old model 2006 super grind and also the new T-7. About a 180.00 difference though. Has anyone else noticed this? Is the 2006 SG just as good?
Just curious.....

Louis Rucci
04-10-2008, 7:41 PM
I bought the 2006, but haven't set it up yet.

The T-7, I believe has new features.

I have a brand new Tormak 2006 I bought with a lot of accessories, and it's never been out of the box.

Here's link to some photo's of mine and the actual sticker prices, not including tax, I paid for them.

http://picasaweb.google.com/AspiringWoodworker/Tormek2006

Have no idea what Amazon is asking.

IF interested, let me know

Eddie Darby
04-10-2008, 9:09 PM
The features on the new T-7 are not worth the extra $$$$$.

The horizontal lock has two knobs now instead of one. This can be easily done if you own a tap n' die set. The shaft is Stainless Steel on the T-7, but it was changed to SS a few years back, so the 2006 model should be SS.

Motor might be more powerful on older model.

Eddie Darby
04-10-2008, 9:56 PM
I was just over at the Yahoo Group for Tormek type machines, and they say to look out for a big price jump ( around 18% ) this summer, since the U.S. dollar is taking a beating on the international markets.

They are also coming out with two new stones, one a 220 x grit stone for rough metal removal, and the other, a fine grit 4,000 x stone for carving work and the such like, this summer as well.

Funny that one is, I was told that you can go right to stropping after the fine graded stone, by a Tormek salesman, no intermediate stone needed, but it would seem that is no longer the case. I guess that is why they were giving away free stones in 2007, since we will never wear them out now that we have three to use.

I wonder when the Laws of Physics changed?:confused: Maybe I was a sleep at the time?:rolleyes:
Must be the New Math!:eek:

:D:D:D

Jeff Farris
04-11-2008, 12:48 AM
Absolutely nothing has changed, Eddie. The original SG-250 grindstone is still capable of reshaping tools in its 220 grit stage, and will deliver a finish ready for honing when graded to 1000 grit. In my opinion, it is the most versatile grinding wheel available wet or dry, fast or slow.

However, the fine finish on the SG-250 is only a few microns thick. If you take a small tool (carving gouge or carving vee-tool for example) and work in a small section of the stone for a few minutes, you will wear through the fine finish and expose coarse crystals again, which will make deeper scratches than you are expecting. Also some people will come back to the Tormek for sharpening when the tool shows the first signs of edge deterioration. The 4000 grit Japanese water stone would be a good choice for these two situations -- small carving tools and tool "touch-up". Personally, I would never go to the trouble of adding the 4000 grit as another intermediate step before honing.

The new SB-250 Blackstone silicon offers improved cutting speed on high speed steel, powdered metals, and exotic alloys. It also offers improved wear resistance when shaping turning tools. However, I don't find the graded fine finish to be quite as fine as the original SG-250.

Very few customers will find a need for all three stones. In fact very few will have a need for anything beyond the original SG-250. But, if you sharpen planer blades or do a lot of turning tool reshaping, the SB-250 may make your life easier. If you sharpen fine tools and small tools, and hardly ever need to do any serious stock removal, then the SJ-250 may be a very good choice -- putting the original SG-250 back on only when shaping or nick removal is needed.

The differences between the 2006 and the T-7 are as follows:

T-7 includes the TT-50 Truing Tool as a standard feature -- the 2006 does not.

T-7 includes the SP-650 Stone Grader as a standard feature -- the 2006 does not.

T-7 includes the new SE-76 Square Edge Jig. The 2006 includes the old design SVH-60 Straight Edge Jig.

T-7 Interior packaging is designed as a storage tray.

Several other features of the T-7 would be found on late production 2006 models. Those would be improved motor isolation, cast and machined horizontal base, stainless steel shaft and stone hardware, and square cut threads on the Universal Support.

The motor power, design and construction is identical.

At the introduction of the T-7 there was a price difference of $100. The truing tool and stone grader are $85 purchased individually. The SE-76 is $22 more than the SVH-60 (and worth it). That means you're getting the storage tray and a 7 year warranty (versus three years) for free.

The only 2006 I found on Amazon was a used unit.

Michael Hammers
04-11-2008, 9:15 AM
Wow,
Thanks everyone! Great answers to a curious question.

Jim Koepke
04-11-2008, 11:01 AM
I am not a Tormek owner or user.

I chose a different system based on an equipment revue for sharpening machines and am happy with my choice.

What is amazing to me is so often when a question is asked here, with the ease of a few key strokes, there are many helpful answers and as is the case in this thread, a person from the manufacturer actually comes on board and renders a great service.

Folks, if you have not contributed to help support this great asset, what are you waiting for?

jim

Michael Hammers
04-11-2008, 12:09 PM
Folks, if you have not contributed to help support this great asset, what are you waiting for?

Jim how right you are