PDA

View Full Version : 16-32 or 22-44 drum sander?

Brian W Evans
04-10-2008, 3:13 PM
I've read a lot of the posts about drum sanders and I'm considering buying a Performax/Jet when the woodcraft sale hits this Saturday. My question is: how often does anyone need the extra capacity of a 22-44 vs a 16-32? In general I'm in favor of buying as much machine as possible, but I can rent time on a wide belt sander if necessary. Is there any common circumstance that any of you find you need more than 32" capacity? To put it another way, is the extra 12" worth $400 (plus more expensive belts)?

Thanks.

Al Willits
04-10-2008, 3:48 PM
Gonna vary from person to person but I looked at both of them and got the 22-44 and glad I did, lot of my present work would have to go though the 16" version twice, not so with the 22"one.

Easier to just say ya bought to big, but always exspensive to buy bigger when you find out the smaller one just doesn't quite do it...imho
Up to point anyway.

Al

Michael Boyle
04-10-2008, 4:02 PM
As a weekend woodworker I have not had a need for a larger drum sander than my 16-32. I use my sander on almost everything I have done and have not to this point had a project that it was not large enough to handle. I usually, however, tell people to buy the largest machine they feel they can comfortably afford. At the time I purchased my 16-32 it was about as much as I really could spend. I also made my decision based on the types of projects that I do as well as the space I had in my shop for a new piece of equipment. Since you have access to a larger sander if needed, you probably will find the 16-32 will fit the majority of your needs quite well.

Rob Diz
04-10-2008, 4:03 PM
I am going through the same analysis right now, and have yet to pick up the drum sander (I'm looking for pre-owned).

When I looked around my house at my finished projects to see what I would be using a drum sander for, I realized that most of my work would be either solid wood casework, or tops for tables etc. In all cases, my past projects would have been just fine with a 16/32 (sofa table, end tables, nightstands, dresser). Sanding veneer is just fine with 16 inches of sanding surface.

A buddy of mine has a 22/44, which is my "current" drum sander. I have a bit of a less expensive out than going to rent a wide belt sander. But then again, anytime you are making two passes, there is a chance that the drum is not dead on, leading to an uneven table top. For the top to a trestle table I made recently, I paid for time on a wide belt sander that I knew would flatten the tabletop. There would be nothing worse than spending a ton of time on a table only to have the show face of the top be uneven.

Not to confuse matters more, if you can go with the larger one, go for it.

NICK BARBOZA
04-10-2008, 4:21 PM
I have the 16-32 and i love it! i rarely make two passes and get the full use of the 32" mainly because sometimes it will leave a mark. this could be because i do not have the machine perfectly dialed in...

i would leave it up to money and space. if i had the money, i would have gone bigger. also if i were purchasing now that i have a bigger shop, i would again, go bigger. i have never heard of anybody kicking themselves because they have too much capacity on their tools....

good luck

Scott Vigder
04-10-2008, 4:43 PM
I bought a used 16/32 for $300 and am happy as a clam with it. I buil dmostly tables, desks, bookcases, and use the sander for everything except the final glue up.

Mike Malott
04-10-2008, 4:48 PM
The only issue I had with my 16-32 was the deflection of the drum/support arm. It had to be carefully aligned (and realigned) to sand parallel.

The 16-32 has since moved on and now I have the General International 25" dual drum unit.

Mike