PDA

View Full Version : My latest Humidor (lots of pics)

Bill Wyko
04-10-2008, 2:32 PM
Here it is. It's made of Waterfall Bubinga, Quilted Maple, Bloodwood, Gaboon Black Ebony,Carpathian Elm Burl, Mahogony and of course, Spanish Cedar. I hope you like and please share your comments and ideas. Thanks. (More pics Below)

jason lambert
04-10-2008, 2:33 PM
May I be the first to say GREAT JOB! I saw your pics the other day the finished product looks impressive.

Bill Wyko
04-10-2008, 2:34 PM
It even has Bubinga hinges too. :DA big thanks to DOZER at www.cigarlive.com (http://www.cigarlive.com) for the 13 Cigars that showed up by surprise today as well.

Brian Kerley
04-10-2008, 2:36 PM
That's one beautiful box!

How do you do that inlay on the top? I've been wanting to do some inlay on future projects, but haven't found much out there on how to actually do it (other than the stuff you have to pay for over at FWW)

Paul Fitzgerald
04-10-2008, 2:37 PM
Wow! That's unbelievably beautiful!

Did you use any veneer or is it all solid wood?

Paul

Jason Christenson
04-10-2008, 2:40 PM
Nice box, and some nice sticks too. I'm a member at cigarlive too but I haven't been there for a looooooong time.

Jason

Bill Wyko
04-10-2008, 3:18 PM
The top is veneer from Joe woodworker at www.veneersupplies.com (http://www.veneersupplies.com) I made the Quilted Maple veneer, and the inlay is from Woodcrafters. The substructure of the lid and the bottom is 7 ply birch plywood, all the miters on the borders are done with my Domino and the Plywood is also dominoed to prevent it from being effected by the humidity. The front and sides are solid Bubinga from an 800 year old tree and The Quilted Maple is the cutoff from the drawers on Erics Humidor. This one was quite fun to build.

J. Z. Guest
04-10-2008, 3:25 PM
...The front and sides are solid Bubinga from an 800 year old tree ...

:(

Anyone else think this is kind of a shame? Also, how do you know it was from an 800 year-old tree?

Don't get me wrong Bill, it's just that these tropical woods are hardly ever harvested in a sustainable manner.

Very nice work on the humidor.

Vince Shriver
04-10-2008, 3:30 PM
Very nice.

Matthew Voss
04-10-2008, 3:33 PM
Beautiful Bill - except I don't see any Davidoffs in there...

Larry Fox
04-10-2008, 3:38 PM
Bill - that is georgeous. Nice work as usual. How do you make the seal between the lid and the case? I ahve seen it done with the spanish cedar sticking up and about 3/16" beyond the top with a steep or shallow bevel around depending on how often you open it. However, that does not appear to be the case with yours. Can you show a pic of how you did it? Also, can you show a pic of your humidifier and hygrometer?

I am working off-and-on on a couple of my own.

Wonderful work and thanks again for showing it . . .

Edit: Another question - finish???

Bill Wyko
04-10-2008, 3:38 PM
Very nice. Did you line it with Spanish Cedar?
Oh YEA:D Lots of it. I built the inside of the lid with 45 degree bevels so it fits perfectly when closed. There is a little room for expansion built into all the Cedar so when the humidity is at 70% it'll tighten up perfectly.

Joe Chritz
04-10-2008, 3:51 PM
Very nice.

If 13 arrived why aren't there only 12 in the box?

A man has got to celebrate such a victory.

Joe

Bill Wyko
04-10-2008, 4:05 PM
:(

Anyone else think this is kind of a shame? Also, how do you know it was from an 800 year-old tree?

Don't get me wrong Bill, it's just that these tropical woods are hardly ever harvested in a sustainable manner.

Very nice work on the humidor.
There's a whole history about this tree on Rockler.com. The tree was 8 feet in diameter. i also have a piece from this tree 41inches wide 2-1/2 inches thick and 12 feet long. 41 inches wide isn't from your normal tree.:)Why would you think its a shame? There will be hundres of hours of great conversations, great drinks and wonderfull cigars enjoyed with this Humidor.:)

Bruce Pennell
04-10-2008, 4:20 PM
Very nice humidor.....got to see your big pieces of Bubinga the other day. You could make some giant boxes with those two pieces. Keep up the great work and thanks for Sharing. Bruce:D PS way to go on the jointer. Just sold one I pick up in a buy out, it cut as well as my powermatic. Nice little jointer. Can't wait to see your new bowl.

Bill Wyko
04-10-2008, 4:26 PM
Thanks Bruce. I still don't know where to put them. Either no room or won't hold the weight.:confused: I'll have to bring them to the shop at work.

Lori Kleinberg
04-10-2008, 4:40 PM
Very nice humidor, Bill. Could this be nicer then the one you gave your BIL:rolleyes:

Bill Wyko
04-10-2008, 4:59 PM
Very nice humidor, Bill. Could this be nicer then the one you gave your BIL:rolleyes:
I don't think so. His is huge. This one is much smaller. i think they each have their own nitch.

Raymond Fries
04-10-2008, 5:28 PM
Was this from a pattern or your own design? Any info available?
It looks like grooves were cut in the bottom. What are they for?

Thanks for showing it off. It really is a looker...

Bill Wyko
04-10-2008, 5:48 PM
This one was out of my head again. Sorry, no plans, no drawings just a twisted imagination. The grooves are saddles to start the cigar stack. This allows the Cigars to breathe between each other.

Ron Bontz
04-10-2008, 6:34 PM
Simply stunning. The rounded corners add a nice touch. My compliments.:)

Walt Caza
04-10-2008, 8:20 PM
Wow Bill,
Your usual great work...be careful not to raise the bar too high !
Gorgeous wood and gorgeous work.
take care,
Walt

Bill Wyko
04-10-2008, 8:41 PM
Thanks guys. What can I say, I'm addicted to beautiful wood. You guys don't make it any easier either. Every day I get on this site I'm inspired by someones work here. Gotta love this place. If you're not a contributor, please become one. Thanks again.:)

Russ Cass
04-10-2008, 11:00 PM
It even has Bubinga hinges too. :DA big thanks to DOZER at www.cigarlive.com (http://www.cigarlive.com) for the 13 Cigars that showed up by surprise today as well.:cool: Wow, great looking humidor.

Thanks for the link to cigarlive, I just joined :D

Russ
aka Truck Guy

David DeCristoforo
04-10-2008, 11:33 PM
Soooo.... That's how you pay for your stogies. But what? No compartmented Spanish cedar stogie trays? Those babies are gonna get bruised.....

Seriously, though ( I'm saying "seriously though" so everyone will know I was joking before) that's a nice piece of work....

gary Zimmel
04-11-2008, 12:05 AM
Excellent looking humidors... You did a fantastic job Bill.

Thanks for letting us take a look.

Lance Norris
04-11-2008, 2:27 AM
Simply Beautiful...! If I keep trying, when Im older and completely grey, I might be able to make something half as nice as that. I sure would like to be your neighbor and hang out in your shop and watch and learn.

Bill Wyko
04-11-2008, 3:14 AM
Hey now, Only a grey goatee at 44. (knock on wood):D The best advice I could give would be quality tools and an appreciation for th beauty in nature God allows us. I have times when I'll stare at a piece of wood until it tells me what to do with it.:confused: I hate when it ignores me.:cool: LOML tells me I'm nuts.:D Who has the right to define normal anyway?:rolleyes:

John Dorough
04-11-2008, 9:22 AM
Bill,

You are a master craftsman. Thank you for sharing the beautiful results of your patience, imagination, skill and care.

John

J. Z. Guest
04-11-2008, 11:09 AM
...Why would you think its a shame? There will be hundres of hours of great conversations, great drinks and wonderfull cigars enjoyed with this Humidor.:)

It's just the tree hugger in me Bill. Tropical hardwood tends to not be re-planted properly. If they are, they usually don't grow properly because the soil doesn't have the nutrients it did when the trees grew. Also, in my humble opinion, an 800 year-old tree should be left alone, unless it is diseased. Not sold up the river for a quick profit. That tree was a piece of history, just like Notre Dame cathedral or the pyramids of Giza. What was the world like 800 years ago? Just my opinion.

That is one reason I don't use exotic wood any more.

Sorry to be a downer, I certainly don't mean to detract from the excellent craftsmanship. :)

Bill Wyko
04-11-2008, 12:29 PM
:)I'd like to say thanks to all of you. It's nice to show my work to people that really understand the passion of wood working and the skill it takes to achieve the results. Many people will look at a piece and say that's nice but to have a conversation with them about what it takes to build it can sometimes be like talking to yourself. Granted i always appreciate a compliment, I really enjoy a conversation with knowledgable woodworkers such as yourselves. Thanks again everyone.:)

Raymond Fries
04-11-2008, 4:31 PM
The picture says it all.

John Revilla
04-11-2008, 6:57 PM
Hi Bill,
Another masterpiece eh! I really admire your imagination and craftsmanship, Sir. When I grow up, I wanna be a woodworker like you.......maybe just half of your talent is more than enough for an amateur like me. You the man. Godspeed.

Bill Wyko
04-11-2008, 7:34 PM
Thanks John. One way you can start doing this type of work is invest in some Incra products. I used the Incra LS fence to make the joints on the corners, my miter1000se to make the miter cuts and the Incra hinge crafter to make the hinges. I also used my Festool Domino to join the miters and the center of the lid. I probably sound like a sales rep but I just really do like the features the tools have that allow me to do this kind of work. I get no compensation from any of the tool companies (unfortunately):D

Dennis Peacock
04-11-2008, 7:49 PM
Beautiful and stunning come to mind Bill..!!!!! Beautiful work my friend. :D :cool:

Bill Wyko
04-11-2008, 8:30 PM
Thanks Dennis. I really appreciate the compliments from you and everyone. It really makes it worth doing.:)

Dylan Smith
04-11-2008, 8:35 PM
That's purty ;)

A very nice job.

Mark Valsi
04-12-2008, 7:11 PM
Man, I am IMPRESSED !!

just making those joints on pieces of scrap wood is nerve wracking !!

trying it on great wood, would knock me out

Bill Wyko
04-13-2008, 1:30 AM
I will be honest. My first try wasn't up to my standards so I cut all 4 corners off and started over. Just made the box a little smaller. Dimentionally this worked out better too. The box joints were off very slightly so they had to go. The corners I cut off might make someone nice pen blanks though.

Will Blick
04-13-2008, 12:47 PM
Bill, those joints aren't in the Incra book, are they? Is this something you dreamed up? could you elaborate?

Bill Wyko
04-14-2008, 12:08 AM
Bill, those joints aren't in the Incra book, are they? Is this something you dreamed up? could you elaborate?
Sure, This joint is the Double, Double Box Joint. The difference is I round it over instead of leaving it square.:D These are pretty tricky to get right. It took me 2 tries on all 4 of the corners on this one.:( Second time was a charm:D.

Will Blick
04-14-2008, 1:49 AM
Ahh, the ol Double Double Box with Round-over, now I remember :-) I think the round-over is what tricks our visuals...

Bill Wyko
04-16-2008, 5:36 PM
The customer wanted a Musical note on the Humidor. I hand made this Gaboon Ebony note. Do you guys like it with or without?

Brian Effinger
04-16-2008, 6:12 PM
I like it with it. It identifies the front of the box and you know from which side it opens.

Jack Camillo
04-16-2008, 6:28 PM
without the note looks better to me

Bill Wyko
04-16-2008, 6:47 PM
I'm on the fence at this point.:confused:

Jeff Mohr
04-16-2008, 7:23 PM
WOW!!! That is amazing. You are truly gifted. So....what does one of those cost someone.... ;)

Bill Wyko
04-16-2008, 7:50 PM
This one runs $1200.00 or I'm always willing to barter.:D I could use a 18" bandsaw.;)

John Thompson
04-25-2008, 9:16 PM
Excellent work Bill. I had no idea this was posted and am glad that a Finished Product section was added. I stay busy and many of these projects got bumped back as I only can look every 12 hours or so. I am trying to go back and see the many I have missed, but it will take awhile for sure as there are many more than I suspected.

Again excellent detail work using various woods. I am mostly a carcass builder and can't imagine nailing the detail on small things you guys do. I am impressed to say the least.

Sarge..

Bill Wyko
04-26-2008, 12:42 PM
Thanks John. I like this new forum too. There are so many talented people here. I hate to miss anything posted. You all make my efforts very worth while. One big difference in showing people here vs general public, people here can really understand what's involved in building a piece like this so they have a deeper appreciation for the work. The general public will still usually like it but without the understanding we all share here. Thanks again to all of you.:)

Dave McGeehan
05-01-2008, 4:27 PM
Wow, Bill. Beautiful design, great workmanship. Flawless!

Dave

Rob Hough
05-06-2008, 8:35 AM
Very nice! I'm completely new to wood working, but one of my goals is to build myself a humidor this summer. I have one of the cheap ones you get from the mail order cigar companies. It's "ok" and didn't cost me a fortune, but not nearly as beautiful as yours!

Allan Froehlich
05-14-2008, 7:18 AM
Bill,

Could you post a construction photo so that I could see your jointery when it was partially completed?

I have been asked to make some boxes and I'd like to try my hand at doing what you have mastered.

-Allan

Clara Koss
05-14-2008, 8:34 AM
Here it is. It's made of Waterfall Bubinga, Quilted Maple, Bloodwood, Gaboon Black Ebony,Carpathian Elm Burl, Mahogony and of course, Spanish Cedar. I hope you like and please share your comments and ideas. Thanks. (More pics Below)
wow beautiful!!!!! wish i could do that!!!! my son would soooo love one....

Richard M. Wolfe
05-14-2008, 5:20 PM
After four pages I doubt there is anything new I could add, so I'll just say,

Beautiful work
Beautiful work
Beautiful work

Stacked three high! :D

Bill Wyko
05-15-2008, 12:31 PM
Thanks again everyone. Unfortunately I didn't take pictures of it under construction. The good news is, I'll be making drawers for my LOMLs jewelry box within the next few weeks. I'm going on my first Hawaii vacation in a couple weeks but after that I'll be kicking it into high gear.:)

Jeff Hounshell
05-23-2008, 3:27 PM
Can you explain the process in making the box joints. I've seen that done elsewhere, just not sure how it is done.

Very nice work, BTW.

Jeff

Bill Wyko
05-23-2008, 4:18 PM
Can you explain the process in making the box joints. I've seen that done elsewhere, just not sure how it is done.

Very nice work, BTW.

Jeff
Hi Jeff. Welcome to SMC. Do you have an Incra Jig? It's a fence system for your router table. To do it without this would take a year.:o

Dan Regan
05-23-2008, 4:52 PM
Beautiful job, love the details in the joints, and top.

Jeff Hounshell
05-25-2008, 12:57 AM
Hi Jeff. Welcome to SMC. Do you have an Incra Jig? It's a fence system for your router table. To do it without this would take a year.:o

I do not have an Incra jig, but I am aware of their products. I am currently cutting box joints and dovetails on a Leigh Super 18. I also have a WoodRat.

Exactly which Incra are you using? I've been thinking about buying the Kreig router table, I like their fence and micro adjust.

However, if you have a better system, please let me know. I'd love to be able to pull that kind of work off, just don't know what hardware I need to get it done, and the process.

I would appreciate your input.

Jeff

Don Eddard
05-25-2008, 6:29 AM
Very nice work, Bill. The maple and bubinga compliment each other nicely.

...Sorry to be a downer, I certainly don't mean to detract from the excellent craftsmanship. :)

You didn't mean to detract. You meant to make Bill wrong. You failed. :rolleyes:

Bob Elliott
08-29-2009, 2:31 PM
Bill,

Beautiful work! I am getting very interested in building boxes and am getting materail together to make my first box.

I have a question about the inlays on the top of the box. I haven't worked with inlays and know nothing about how to inlay a box top the way you did yours. Do you ahve any pictures of the inlay process? has anyone ever seen a post or web site that describes how this is done? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Bob

Bill Wyko
08-29-2009, 4:42 PM
Here you go. This place has everything you'll need.
http://www.inlays.com/

Bob Elliott
08-31-2009, 10:22 AM
Thanks for the link. That place seems to have everything you would need for inlays.

What I am looking for is a detailed description of what you did to put the inlays in your box top. Did you cut the mortise in the different paices of wood and glue the inlay in before you glued the top or did you glue the top and cut the mortise after the top was assembled?

Mauricio Ulloa
09-03-2009, 4:46 AM
Hi,

I just saw the pictures and I am trully amazed by your work. Being an amateur woodworker and a cigar aficionado myself, I can only admire the beauty of your work and the attention to detail that you have. This is not only a humidor, this is a wonderfull piece of art. Trully inspiring.

Thanks for sharing your work with us and thanks for sharing your knowledge.

Bill Wyko
09-03-2009, 12:19 PM
Thanks everyone. I'm always happy to help fellow woodworkers. You've all been there for me.:)