PDA

View Full Version : OT - Tool Transporter

Dan Barber
03-28-2004, 10:13 AM
Hi everyone,

I've not been posting too much lately and have to confess I've been visiting another forum regularly - one on compact utility tractors - not woodworking.

We moved to our present house in September of last year and I soon discovered that during heavy rains that water entered the 30' x 40' shop building where we were intending to put all the woodworking gear. Not a good thing for cast iron:). The floor of the building is actually slightly below the surrounding grade. I knew that some major dirt moving was in my future. The lawn also needs a lot of regrading work and we want to put a connecting drive from the house to the shop.

I looked into rental of equipment or hiring the work done and before my investigation was complete I had decided that a small tractor and implements might allow me to do the work myself as well as provide the means to maintain the three acres we live on in the years to come.

After an exhaustive search for decent used equipment at an affordable price and research into new small tractors, it became apparent that a new tractor represented the best value. With my somewhat unpredictable schedule, the last thing I wanted to do was to work on a tractor every time I needed to use it.

So ultimately I ended up with the unit you see in the picture.

How does this relate to woodworking? Well, you see it will now be much easier to move all the power tools from the garage at the house to the shop once my water problem is solved. Oh yeah, it will also come in handy loading those really big turning blanks on the lathe too. I guess a bigger lathe might be needed now to justify the tractor:).

For those that are interested it's a Kubota B7800, 30HP four cylinder diesel four wheel drive. The mower in the picture came as part of the house purchase - also diesel and four wheel drive - really needed for this yard. I think I'm covered for yard maintenance, might just have to go into landscaping when I get tired of the rat race. If you are considering a tractor purchase or have questions, I found a very good forum - TractorByNet - http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/index.php Friendly folks who are knowledgeable, quite a few dealers hang out there as well.

Everyone enjoy the weekend, I know I will!

Cheers,

Dan

Steve Clardy
03-28-2004, 1:39 PM
I have a friend that bought a new Kabota several years back. It has treated him well. Steve

Jim Becker
03-28-2004, 5:10 PM
Welcome to the "Orange" family, Dan! I too stop over at TractorByNet.com every other day or so and like this place, it's generally a friendly place to get a lot of good information.

I've been a Kubota fan for over four years now. This property "came with" an old L210 which while in great condition, was not in line with what Ali and I really wanted in a tractor. After only one lawn cut, I traded it in for a BX-2200 with a FEL and MMM which I later traded in on a BX-22 'cause I wanted the 'hoe, too. It really is nice to have a machine that can do so much to maintain the property without dealing with a rental or calling a contractor. I'd still do that for really big jobs, but those are few and far between...fortunately.

Best wishes on your new "tools"!!!! :D

Dan Barber
03-28-2004, 6:36 PM
Jim,

I thought of you while making this post, I see your posts from time to time on TractorByNet. I looked very hard at a BX23 - I really wanted the hoe - maybe down the line I'll add one to the 7800.

I have already box graded 400' feet of drive and dug out two stumps, can't wait for my tooth bar to get here next week. I wanted the hoe to dig out stumps from about 10 hickory trees that will soon become fire/turning wood. My Kubota dealer has a mini-excavator they'll rent for $100 for the weekend to new tractor buyers, I'll likely take advantage of that for now.

I guess the Mini-Max ST3 Smart / FS350 will have to wait for a few more bonus checks:)

Dan

Stan Smith
03-28-2004, 8:47 PM
Love your end quote. I'm reading a book about Ben Franklin, now.

Real nice looking tractor. Wish I had one.

Stan

Jim Becker
03-28-2004, 8:48 PM
Dan, if you don't have a LOT of hoe work "all the time" the rental excavator is a pretty good deal, especially at that price! But your machine will take one when you are ready...and after the MiniMax folks are made happy by your future purchases there...:)

John Shuk
03-29-2004, 10:30 PM
I'm in the same boat as far as needing work done around the place. What is a ballpark for the setup you got? If you don't mind my asking of course.
Thanks,
John

Jim Becker
03-29-2004, 10:56 PM
What is a ballpark for the setup you got? If you don't mind my asking of course.

It's hard to say exactly without knowing more about your property and what you want to do, but CUTs will range between about $10K and $20K, depending on the size and attachments as well as new/used. Don't buy one without a FEL (front end loader)...it's the most useful attachment; even more than any mowing equipment! And with a FEL, you really should have 4wd. Spend some time at TractorByNet and you'll learn a lot about sizing, etc., so you can be better prepared before you "shop".

Jim Knauss
03-30-2004, 5:34 AM
Hi everyone,
First time poster here but this thread compells me to do a gloat of my own. :) Last year my wife and I purchased a 33HP New Holland with a loader for home use. Clearing brush ect. A company in my home town makes a product called a "brush claw". It's an attachment that goes on your bucket for picking up brush ,logs ,ect. It is a great improvement over the plain bucket. The work you can do with this thing is amazing with out ever getting off the seat! They have a website at www.weslor.com. Click on the brushclaw link. They put them on Kubota's also. I'm not affiliated with these people, just love there product. I would post a pic of mine if I knew how :( Anyway, nice to read your posts and Ill try to learn more about posting pictures ect.
Take care,
Jim

Jim Becker
03-30-2004, 8:40 AM
THe grapple is a great addition to a FEL when you have a lot of brush clearing, etc., to do. But you really can't use them on the smaller machines as their weight greatly compromises your lifting capacity for "stuff" in the bucket on the lower-end CUTs. For example, my bucket capacity (official...it can lift more..DAMHIKT!) is only about 465 lbs, and the weight of the attachment would use up a whole bunch of that! But I have a very small machine.

Bill Roland
03-30-2004, 12:02 PM
Hi neighbor! Now I know where to borrow that great looking tractor.

Bill