PDA

View Full Version : Craftsman plane I.D.?

Tim Reagan
04-10-2008, 12:46 PM
I am starting to delve (?sp.) into my planes, and have been given a Craftsman bench plane. It says made in USA, and measures 9 1/8 to the heel "bump" and 2 1/8 wide with 1 3/4 blade. Is this a #3 or #4? Who makes this plane, Stanley? (I think it 50-60 years old).

Also locally I see a "Stanley #5" that looks clean for $45, is that a fair deal?

thanks,
tim

Mike Henderson
04-10-2008, 1:11 PM
That Craftsman plane is about equal to a Stanley #4. I haven't bought a Stanley #5 in a while but $45 seems high to me. The #5 planes are pretty common. But it depends upon the age (type), and condition.

Mike

Randal Stevenson
04-10-2008, 1:27 PM
Craftsman had several people make them for them. The contract would come up occassionally and someone else would get the job (or company A would be bought out by company B).

Look at the lateral adjuster (lever). The Sargent made ones (as far as I have seen, the most common), looks like an upside down U.

Maybe Clint can chime in as it was him (I think) that posted a picture on Woodnet, of 4 makers lateral levers.

Tim Reagan
04-10-2008, 2:20 PM
As I recall the lateral adjust lever is L shaped at the end. Will try to get pic.

Jim Koepke
04-10-2008, 6:54 PM
$45 is a bit much for a #5 unless it is a good to go and nice example.
There are two in my shop, type 9 and type 11. Both combined were less than $30.

Both needed a little cleaning and sharpening, but they are great users now.

jim

Johnny Kleso
04-10-2008, 7:48 PM
With a 1 3/4" blade its a No3.......

Most likey its is made buy Dunlap or Sargent
I think Stanley only made Craftsman block planes as far as I know...

$45 for a No5 is on the high side $25-$35 is a fair price.. If its in VG shape it maybe a buy as you dont need to pay shipping like eBay

Tim Reagan
04-10-2008, 8:09 PM
here is a pic.

Randal Stevenson
04-10-2008, 11:41 PM
here is a pic.

The lever is out of focus. Stand behind the plane and focus on the back lever.

Clint Jones
04-11-2008, 12:19 AM
The plane is made by Millers Falls for Craftsman.

Jim Koepke
04-11-2008, 2:25 AM
The plane is made by Millers Falls for Craftsman.

Those were my thoughts when the L-shaped adjuster was mentioned, but wanted to see a picture first. Seeing the red frog is a big hint.

Of course, would not have known that before seeing the adjuster picture link someone posted here a few days ago.

I am still hoping to see a Millers Falls plane someday to figure out how that three point contact lever cap works.

jim

Randal Stevenson
04-11-2008, 11:01 AM
Those were my thoughts when the L-shaped adjuster was mentioned, but wanted to see a picture first. Seeing the red frog is a big hint.

Of course, would not have known that before seeing the adjuster picture link someone posted here a few days ago.

I am still hoping to see a Millers Falls plane someday to figure out how that three point contact lever cap works.

jim

Jim, do you remember what thread that picture was in? I thought I had saved that for future reference, evidently not.

Thanks

Jim Koepke
04-11-2008, 11:09 AM
Jim, do you remember what thread that picture was in? I thought I had saved that for future reference, evidently not.

Thanks

The picture was at Brass city records.

http://www.brasscityrecords.com/toolworks/graphics/plane%20id.html

jim

Tim Reagan
04-11-2008, 12:09 PM
Thanks. Is Miller Falls a good enough quality plane to upgrade (blade primarily)? So with the 1 3/4 blade it is a #3? I very much appreciate your help!

Clint Jones
04-11-2008, 3:11 PM
Thanks. Is Miller Falls a good enough quality plane to upgrade (blade primarily)? So with the 1 3/4 blade it is a #3? I very much appreciate your help!

Let me say something about the planes made by the big companies from contracts. Some are great (Winchester Keen Kutter etc.) Some are not so (Craftsman, Fulton, etc.) Whent the big companies were bidding for a contract they tried to give the lowest price. That meant cutting down costs (quality) frog adjusters were left out, machining wasnt as exact etc. (This isnt the case with the Keen Kutters, Winchester, and a few other companies) While they will make a decent user you are better off to hold off until you find a Stanley, Millers Falls, Sargent, Union, Ohio etc. plane until you know what to look for.

Oh yeah I think the Millers Falls type 1 and 2 are better than there Bailey equivalents.

Tim Reagan
04-13-2008, 11:20 AM
Clint, If you come across one of the ones you mentioned, I'm interested.
thanks again.