PDA

View Full Version : Homebrew laserboard (or whatever you call it).

Darren Null
04-10-2008, 11:24 AM
It's clear 2mm acrylic, sprayed (in this case) with black one side and gold on the reverse with acrylic car paint.

Reasonably cheap; burnable and cuttable; and the effect is rather pleasing. It doesn't really come over in the photo, but -because of the 2mm clear bit between layers- there's a lovely sense of depth to your engraving.

I did business cards from the remainder of the sheet, burned from the other side and those worked out rather well too.

My 2 favourite discoveries of the week: chrome and transparent car paint, found in a local cheapo shop. Going to have fun with those...

Joe Pelonio
04-10-2008, 11:35 AM
Those look great, but you could save time by using black acrylic, or is that not the same effect?

Darren Null
04-10-2008, 11:53 AM
That would be good, but my choices locally are white and clear. To get other colours, I have to travel an hour each way, and it's a 2-day cutting time. And you wouldn't get the 'depth effect'.

For me, here, now, it's cheaper and quicker to paint both sides.

Plus you get complete control of colours. And, of course, you can do either gold-on-black (in this case) or black-on-gold depending on which way up it is.

But black acrylic would definitely be easier.