PDA

View Full Version : Socket Chisel repair

Paul Engle
04-10-2008, 9:56 AM
I got an older 2 inch Stanley socket chisel to make new handle for as the owner used a ball peen hammer to strike it with :eek:, any body ever made a handle for one of these? Snug fit ? force fit? glue with epoxy ? ring choice for the striking end to keep from mushrooming? Diameter? Length? Taper ? Type of wood used orginally ? I'd be much obliged for any help! I don't wanna over think this though :eek:, ah tool late.....

Bob Hallowell
04-10-2008, 2:46 PM
Paul if they are an older true socket chisel then they are friction fit with no glue. just turn and try-turn and try till it's a its good fit. Leave a little gap at the top for expansion cause you can always take a little more off but can't put it back on. Copper water pipe cut to length makes a good end peice to prevent mushrooming.

Bob

mike holden
04-10-2008, 3:45 PM
Bob is right, they are a hand fit taper - no glue.
Once you get close on the lathe, you should turn the handle in the socket and scrape (by hand, not on the lathe) down the high points, and do it again till you have a snug fit.
Then when the humidity drops, the handle falls off (grin) but thats just how it works.
The other thing to watch is for the handle to bottom out, it should be shy of the bottom. If it hits the bottom it will never tighten.
Traditional way to tighten, is to hold handle in hand, blade up, and rap on benchtop.

Mike

BTW, if the "loose" handle really bothers you, you could epoxy it in - I wont tell.

Paul Engle
04-10-2008, 4:25 PM
awrighty then , taper , no glue, shy of the bottom, rap with mallet. gotcha thanks guys!!! Yep tis a Stanley socket 2 inch and I kinda wondered how they keep the handle on when it got dry :confused:...if I keep it long enuf maybe he'll forget I got it.....;) ..... naw I will too.

robert hainstock
04-11-2008, 10:24 AM
Once you use one of these for a while, it becomes second nature to thump the butt end of the handle on the work surface every time you piock it up; to tighten the friction fit. :)
Bob

Gary Herrmann
04-11-2008, 9:00 PM
Paul, go search the posts on the Neanderthal forum. Lots of useful info has been posted. You can roll up a piece of paper and stick it in the socket, tape the paper and you'll have a nice example of the taper. Some folks have even use playdoh and other things to get the taper right.

You can epoxy the handle, but it would just make it that much harder to replace it if necessary in the future.