PDA

View Full Version : Pics of new TS and jointer

Larry Browning
03-28-2004, 8:43 AM
Well, I have finally found a little time to post a picture or 2.
Here are a few pics of the new TS and jointer. I picked them up last saturday and Terry Hatfield came over on Sunday afternoon and helped me set them up. (THANK YOU Terry :) ) I had the power all setup I just needed to drill a hole in the floor and feed the wire thru to the box I had mounted to a 2x4 block. I didn't get that done until Thursday, (took about 30 minutes to do both machines) I finally got to cut a board, and WOW! what a HUGE difference this is from the Shopsmith. As much I like the TS, I think the jointer is even bigger improvement over the SS jointer. I face jointed a board that had a pretty siginificant cup in it and when I put it on the table saw table to check for flatness, it was so flat, it formed a suction effect to the table, I needed to slide it of the edge to pick it up! And if was smooth as a baby' butt. I never could get a real good edge joint from the SS, I didn't even attempt to face joint anthing with it. 4"X32 or so. What a joke!

Tyler Howell
03-28-2004, 8:50 AM
Congrats Larry, Worth the wait!

George Summers
03-28-2004, 8:59 AM
What is it about Arkansas and huge clean shops? Is it state building code that all shops have to be 1000+ sq ft and have a maid come in twice a day? Congrats on your new shop mates. I wish I had had room to keep my old ShopSmith when I started going to dedicated equipment.

George

Terry Hatfield
03-28-2004, 9:09 AM
Larry,

Looking good!!!! I'm so proud for you. Your wwing experience is going to take a whole new direction now. The TS and the jointer are 2 fine pieces of equipment.

t

Terry Hatfield
03-28-2004, 9:10 AM
What is it about Arkansas and huge clean shops? Is it state building code that all shops have to be 1000+ sq ft and have a maid come in twice a day? Congrats on your new shop mates. I wish I had had room to keep my old ShopSmith when I started going to dedicated equipment.

George

George,

Yup...you caught on to us. It's just gotta be that way in Arkansas. :D

t

Dennis Peacock
03-28-2004, 9:55 AM

George

George.....well....let's just say that it's THAT way about clean shops in NORTH Arkansas.....my shop IS 1,000+ Sq Ft....but it ain't hospital clean like Terry's and Larry's shop!!! :D

Congrats Larry on the new saw and jointer!!!! You gonna love making toothpics with those. ;)

Frank Pellow
03-28-2004, 10:10 AM
Looks like great equipment in a great shop. Something for me to aspire to some day -although I will never have as much room and I really doubt that I will ever be able to keep my shop that clean.

Bart Leetch
03-28-2004, 11:21 AM
Looks good Larry. It looks like you hide things behind another door just like Terry, but its not so Bright & shiny but it does turn up the RPM's a lot quicker even if it stays sitting in the same spot because its so Ridgid.

Now you need a cyclone system like Terry's so you can keep your wood clinic clean & sparkling. Calling Dr. Larry..............

Larry Browning
03-28-2004, 12:06 PM
Clean :confused: My wife says it's filthy and I can't buy any more equipment until I learn to keep it clean :mad: Actually, she is really happy for me and visits the shop often. I really think the camera is lying in this case (I air brushed all the dust out!) The cyclone is the next big project. Then maybe it really can be as clean as Terry's and meet the AR woodshop regulations. (I guess that's NORTH Arkansas)

Larry

Jim Becker
03-28-2004, 1:03 PM
Larry, I'm really jealous of that nice, wide open space! New tools are lookin' good, too...

Steve Clardy
03-28-2004, 1:23 PM
Looking good on the new equipment Larry.
BTW, you gotta watch Hatfield now. If He comes over again He'll be instructing how to wear and maintain a white gown while you're in the shop. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
And the most fun part of your new tools was----cleaning off the cosmasline? lol. I remember cleaning off my 1023 when I purchased it in 1994. Wow, what fun it was.
Steve

John Miliunas
03-28-2004, 1:58 PM
Congrats Larry! Quite the score...A 2-fer, at that! I really want to hear about the jointer more. Somewhere down the road, I'm going to have to get something a bit bigger than my 6" and I've been eyeing up one of the Grizzly units for some time now. Have fun with the new toyls! Oh, and yes, you're shop is WAY too clean! :cool:

Dean Baumgartner
03-28-2004, 3:38 PM
Congratulations on the new additions Larry. Bet you had an ear to ear grin when they arrived.

Nice looking shop too.

Dean

Jeff Skory
03-28-2004, 3:38 PM
Congratulations Larry,

Exciting day. I remember when my stuff came not too long ago. Fun times ahead. :D

Mike Evertsen
03-28-2004, 4:42 PM
Well, I have finally found a little time to post a picture or 2.
Here are a few pics of the new TS and jointer. I picked them up last saturday and Terry Hatfield came over on Sunday afternoon and helped me set them up. (THANK YOU Terry :) ) I had the power all setup I just needed to drill a hole in the floor and feed the wire thru to the box I had mounted to a 2x4 block. I didn't get that done until Thursday, (took about 30 minutes to do both machines) I finally got to cut a board, and WOW! what a HUGE difference this is from the Shopsmith. As much I like the TS, I think the jointer is even bigger improvement over the SS jointer. I face jointed a board that had a pretty siginificant cup in it and when I put it on the table saw table to check for flatness, it was so flat, it formed a suction effect to the table, I needed to slide it of the edge to pick it up! And if was smooth as a baby' butt. I never could get a real good edge joint from the SS, I didn't even attempt to face joint anthing with it. 4"X32 or so. What a joke!

Larry
what model # is the tablesaw ??

Alan Tolchinsky
03-28-2004, 5:23 PM
jkjkjkjkjkjkjkj

Ken Fitzgerald
03-28-2004, 5:40 PM
I don't know why this is printing in this color.....must because I'm envious! :D Have fun with the new tools!

Larry Browning
03-28-2004, 5:44 PM
Larry
what model # is the tablesaw ??
Mike,
It is the G1023SL. I added the 7' rails. Hey, anybody wanta buy a set of brand new 30" rails? Cheap. No fence, just some rails.

Larry

Kent Cori
03-28-2004, 7:49 PM
Larry,

I too have a Griz 1023SL and a Griz jointer. I hope you like yours even half as well as I like mine.