PDA

View Full Version : Stair treads

Ron McAllister
04-10-2008, 3:08 AM
I will soon be replacing my temporary stair treads with permanent ones. Was hoping to use oak, as I have plenty of it. I was going for a somewhat rustic decor, but tasteful, and would be open for suggestions for other materials. Also need suggestions on a very durable finish for whatever wood I use. I want a natural finish tread with a painted kicker. What ideas do you folks have? I was considering a gym floor finish.

Richard Wolf
04-10-2008, 7:36 AM
Oak is the number one choice, but only if it works with your decor. For the rustic look, why not leave some of the mineral stains and small knots, I really like that look.
The gym floor finish may be over kill and it is tough on the kids coming down in socks, (slippery). Floor quality ploy is a good choice.

Richard

Joe Trotter
11-27-2008, 10:54 AM
Oak is the number one choice, but only if it works with your decor. For the rustic look, why not leave some of the mineral stains and small knots, I really like that look.
The gym floor finish may be over kill and it is tough on the kids coming down in socks, (slippery). Floor quality ploy is a good choice.

Richard

Richard,
I know this is an old post, I was searching for some answers and found this.

What is a good finish to use on oak stair treads? I want to convert our old stair from carpet to oak. My wife is concerned it will be too slippery.

Thanks, Joe

Matt Ocel
11-27-2008, 11:01 AM
Richard,
I know this is an old post, I was searching for some answers and found this.

What is a good finish to use on oak stair treads? I want to convert our old stair from carpet to oak. My wife is concerned it will be too slippery.

Thanks, Joe

I agree with your wife - too slippery

No doubt, an oak tread looks awesome, but too dangerous. IMHO

Compromise - Have an oak tread, but install a carpet runner down the middle of the tread.

Richard Wolf
11-27-2008, 12:38 PM
I always recommend water base ploy as a finish on stairs. It is durable, non yellowing, and dries quickly. I also agree that finished stairs are slippery for kids or anyone in socking feet, so a runner down the middle is always an intelligent solution.

Richard

Joe Trotter
11-27-2008, 12:55 PM
I always recommend water base ploy as a finish on stairs. It is durable, non yellowing, and dries quickly. I also agree that finished stairs are slippery for kids or anyone in socking feet, so a runner down the middle is always an intelligent solution.

Richard

Thanks for the quick response!

I appreciate the safety suggestion from both of you. I will look into that solution as well.

Joe