PDA

View Full Version : Stanley plane Purchase

Gilbert Vega
03-28-2004, 2:15 AM
Bought two planes today, one a 9 1/4 block plane that look almost brand new and a Bailey no. 4 type 11 smoother that has about 90 % of the japanning. In the process of removing the surface rust. The block plane cost me $10 while the no. 4 cost $14. Now to practice my technique.

Richard Gillespie
03-28-2004, 8:05 AM
Watch out, your standing on a very slippery slope! Next I'll be seeing you at the TA (tool addiction) meetings I attend. There are some other TA meetings I go to but we won't get into that here. Welcome to the club!

James Carmichael
03-28-2004, 2:16 PM
Watch out, your standing on a very slippery slope! Next I'll be seeing you at the TA (tool addiction) meetings I attend. There are some other TA meetings I go to but we won't get into that here. Welcome to the club!

The 12 steps:
1. We admitted that we are powerless over tools and our need for ever more new gizmos was unmanageable.
2. Came to believe that a only another tool could restore us to sanity.
3. Made a decision to turn our lives over to Stanley and Bailey.
4. Made a searching and fearless inventory of our shop and decided we needed more tools.
5. Admitted to God, to ourselves and to another human being the exact nature of the wrongs in the last tool we bought and resolved to find a better one next time.
6. Were entirely ready to have the electrolysis tank remove all of the rust from the latest batch of old tools we bought.
7. Humbly asked our significant other permission to go to the next tool swap/flea market/garage sale/estate sale.
8. Made a list of all persons who had outbid us for THE tool on Ebay and became willing to get even with every last one of them.
9. Made plans to buy a mint Stanley #1, except when doing so might cause us to have sleep on the sofa for the next two weeks.
10. Continued to take inventory and when we bought another tool, promptly hid it from our spouse.
11. Sought through prayer and meditation to come up with the perfect shop.
12. Having been awakened by the curly shavings of a well-tuned plane, became obsessed old tools and said the hell with everything else.

Tyler Howell
03-28-2004, 2:22 PM
LMAO Great guys!
My name is Tyler and I have aTA and I love T.......!:p

Gilbert Vega
03-30-2004, 1:47 PM
Bought two planes today, one a 9 1/4 block plane that look almost brand new and a Bailey no. 4 type 11 smoother that has about 90 % of the japanning. In the process of removing the surface rust. The block plane cost me $10 while the no. 4 cost $14. Now to practice my technique.

Forgot to mention that the plane had a cracked tote. I'm looking for an original tot in good condition, anyone have a lead for one? Thanks.

James Carmichael
03-30-2004, 3:19 PM
Forgot to mention that the plane had a cracked tote. I'm looking for an original tot in good condition, anyone have a lead for one? Thanks.

They're everywhere, Gilbert, Woodcraft, Highland, and Ebay I guess if you want to go for a less expensive original.

This guy handles Stanley parts but looks a bit pricey:

http://www.antique-used-tools.com/comparts.htm

Of course a craftsman should make his own ;)

Gilbert Vega
03-31-2004, 12:21 AM
They're everywhere, Gilbert, Woodcraft, Highland, and Ebay I guess if you want to go for a less expensive original.

This guy handles Stanley parts but looks a bit pricey:

http://www.antique-used-tools.com/comparts.htm

Of course a craftsman should make his own ;)

I'm sure I could make one or buy already made but was trying replace it with an original handle from the same type of plane. Thanks for the link.