PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have the Turncrafter Pro Variable Speed Midi Lathe Kit?

Tim Dorcas
04-09-2008, 11:59 PM
I have been doing woodworking for about 3 years making boxes, furniture, and cabinets. I have been holding off on getting a lathe because I thought I would REALLY like it and I have already spend so much money on the tools I have now. But after watching a friend make a few pens I think I'm hooked. I promised my wife that I would hold on the purchase of anything new but she has recently said I could spend (roughly) $500 to get the gear necessary to start making pens and small bowls.

I have been looking on the Penn State Industries site and they have a kit that includes everything. So I have a few questions.

Has anyone else purchased this set?

Will it get me by for awhile (a year at least)?

Does it require the purchase of anything else?

Should I get a different lathe and get just the pen making kit without the lathe?

Any and all advice is appreciated.

Keep in mind I have a budget. I have looked around and have yet to find a decent used lathe (in Canada) so that doesn't appear to be an option.

What would you do? How would you spend the money?

Tim

Bill Dunn jr
04-10-2008, 7:22 AM
Tim, I got the Delta Midi with the pen turning kit for under $300 at Woodcraft a couple of years ago . If your anything like me the material they give you will not last long. I got some free material from cabinet shop scraps and hardwood floor installers. I also get a large amount of Corian scraps from a local counter top guy. Every once in a while I will make a couple of pens for them as a thank you.

I found the whole process somewhat addicting..Have Fun

Wayne Bitting
04-10-2008, 10:17 AM
Hi Tim - I've been using that lathe for about 18 months. Good lathe for the money. I've turned about 40 walnut peppermills, close to 200 pens and a bunch of random things on it. Do a search on Amazon for it, they have just the lathe for $210 and free shipping (the UPS guy wasn't happy when it showed up - its heavy!). I was going to buy the "kit" for doing pens and was talked out of it by the people at PSI's store because it was all "cheap" stuff just to get you started. Ended up buying things so I didn't have to upgrade, just add on as I want to do more. Good Luck!

Russ Peters
04-10-2008, 2:02 PM
I bought one of those combo deals a couple of months ago thinking that i would only turn pens and small items. My Advice would be to not do this. buy a Jet or Rikon mini lathe and a starter set of tools from either woodcraft or Harbor freight. Don't get the small "pen turning" ones buy full sized (much easier to work with). As far as why not one of the small package deal lathes. you will outgrow it before you even turn the first item. you start looking at these beautiful bowls and other items that are shown here and want to make them but the swing and distance over the banjo are not enough to do a decent sized one. like I said go with a jet or rikon they are a little more upfront but well worth it in 2 months when you want to grow.

one other thing woodcraft is having a 10% off sale on the 12th so at least it'll save you the tax on the lathe. if there is one near you that is

Bernie Weishapl
04-10-2008, 4:15 PM
I have the Rikon with it's 12" swing. It has been a good lathe. I would not and never will buy kits. It seems everytime I did before I end of with a lot of the kit not being used and just collecting dust. I bought a set of turning tools (8 piece set) from PSI and use maybe 3 out of the 8. If you buy the PSI pen kit you are still going to have to purchase drill bits, bushings, etc. because you are not going to want to turn slimlines all the time. So you if you purchase items like Sierras, El Grande's, and on and on you will be buying the bushings, etc for each pen kit anyway.

Gordon Seto
04-10-2008, 4:44 PM
I have nothing intelligent to add regarding the PSI. I haven't purchased from them for several years.
Don't forget to allow for tool sharpening in your budget. Get full size turning tools, they are more versatile.
Turning is addictive.

Ben Gastfriend
04-10-2008, 7:14 PM
I have alot of pen stuff from PSI, and it all suits me fine. Of course, as Bernie said, there will be more money spent to buy drill bits and bushings for different kits. And definitely buy some full sized turning tools. Harbor Freight has a really nice set at an affordable price, and so does PSI. If you go for the pen turning tool set (gouge, oval skew, and 1/8" parting toos) get the HSS version PLEASE! It'll last you much longer between sharpenings, and less sharpenings means longer tool life. And it's only about $10 more than the carbon steel version.

Mike Berndt
04-10-2008, 7:55 PM
PSI is a great company to do business with and the support education with very reasonable prices on product and they offer many deals!!!!:)