PDA

View Full Version : Fitting a bullet catch

Jay Basen
04-09-2008, 11:05 PM
I'm using bullet catches for the door on a tall case clock that I'm building. I think they offer a very clean appearance but this is the first time I'm using them and I'm looking for suggestions on the best way to drill the 2 holes required to the proper depth.

My philosphy is to do things as accurately as possible and if you have to err, do things a little big so you can hand work the wood for a precise fit. With a bullet catch I just don't see how this is possible. I would like to drill the hole, and insert the catch, see how the fit is. If necessary, then remove the catch and drill a little deeper. However, once the catch is inserted into the hole, I don't see how I can get it out if I want to drill a little deeper.

Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance for the help

Jay

David DeCristoforo
04-09-2008, 11:12 PM
You can make a stop out of a piece of scrap. Drill through a piece just wide enough to let the bit break through the opposite edge. Then trim the block so that just the right amount of bit depth is exposed.

Jamie Buxton
04-10-2008, 12:05 AM
I've never been happy with bullet catches. As you say, they're difficult to install. They also don't seem to stay correctly-placed as time goes on. Perhaps the cabinet twists a bit, or the wood moves, or something. At any rate, I now use those coin-shaped rare-earth magnets instead. Bury them underneath a thin piece of wood, so they can't be seen. You can bury them underneath a plug cut with a plug cutter. Or if I think far enough ahead, I can often bury them behind a piece of edging, so there isn't even a seam around the plug.

glenn bradley
04-10-2008, 12:23 AM
I just used the depth stop and a brad point bit on the DP. If you are already assembled, a split-ring depth stop and a BP bit in a hand drill will do. Use the catch itself to set the depth stop for a fool proof setting.

Jay Basen
04-10-2008, 6:57 AM
Thanks for the suggestions.

Using a drill bit stop to get consistent depth cuts makes sense. The part that I'm not clear on is getting the depth set to just what is needed for the catches which is going to be dependent on the exact gap between the door and the door frame.

Thanks again for all the help

Jay