PDA

View Full Version : Business question

Mark Mullis
04-09-2008, 10:08 PM
I have been working on a marketing plan for a laser business, and have a question for some of you business owners. If you were going to offer something like laser engraved wedding portraits, would you offer it to every photographer in town, and any other wedding related business also. It seems like the more outlets you have the better, but some business seem to do real good by being more exclusive with limited outlets. What have you found to work the best.

Craig Hogarth
04-09-2008, 11:56 PM
The demand for laser engraving isn't high enough for you to be "exclusive" It'd be best to spread the wealth.

Mike Null
04-10-2008, 6:34 AM
Please forgive my negativity here but whenever you offer a service which impacts a service offered by your customer how much success do you think you can have.

I have some experience with photographers having supported the weddings of four daughters and a son. These guys making their living by selling their service and product. You will have to access their copyrighted product to make yours then mark it up to include your cost as well as theirs.

If this is a hobby--great, have at it, but if you want to make money with your laser there are easier ways.

Darren Null
04-10-2008, 10:35 AM
Everybody, definitely.

I don't totally agree that it has to be difficult though- at least photographers know about 'print quality' and you won't be asked to make an 8-foot square plaque from a manky little web image.

You have to think about it from the photographer's point of view though. They're primarily concerned with punting out their product of course; but if you can extend their range -and allow them to make money easily- then they're usually up for a trial, at least. The keyword is easily. It's no easy task when the possibilities are pretty well infinite, but try to limit your range, and put it all in an at-a-glance document:

I can make THIS MUCH by offering the customer THIS OPTION at THIS CUSTOMER PRICE, and all I need to do is to supply an image THIS BIG and wait for THIS LONG.

As ever, make it easy for people to give you money. Dealing through the photographer, you don't get copyright problems, because they are supplying you with the image.
Each option has to work financially for you, the photographer and the end customer, and that's the tricky bit.

If you're going to concentrate on weddings, don't forget to hit the wedding organisers with a different range of options- cake toppers, place settings, guest giveaways, centrepieces etc.

The golden rule of all weddings, though, is GIVE THE BRIDE'S MOTHER A WIDE BERTH!