PDA

View Full Version : Finding the right plotter and a great company at the same time.

AL Ursich
04-09-2008, 8:33 PM
I have been in the market for a plotter to do Reflective Vinyl in mostly Engineering Grade. I got a Copam CP2500 and being so busy never opened it. I had seen it on this forum. Then my need develops to needing a plotter to cut stickers with registration marks and the Copam did not have that capability.

I did a lot of research and to make a long story short the company I got the Copam from that I first saw mentioned here at SawMill was US Cutter at kenimes@uscutter.com 888-298-8143 in Woodinville, WA.

The owner agreed to take back my unopened Copam in a upgrade to a unit that could read the marks. Many phone calls later to Graphtec, and I decided on a Graphtec FC7000. It just happens that US Cutter is in the early stages of getting ready to sell Graphtec. I committed to a order and will wait until they become available. This is a case of a company working with a start up business in that confusing time of making equipment purchases.

I want to thank US Cutter for the great service and recommend them to anyone looking for equipment.

I saw here that the Cutter Plotter has the fastest payback of sign equipment.

Thanks !!!!

AL

This is what I will be doing... Select downloads and watch the movie. http://www.liquid-lens.com/index.php

Scott Shepherd
04-10-2008, 11:34 AM
I've had reasonable service from US Cutter as well. It's not next day service, but I knew that going in. I'd buy from them again. I'm also happy with my Copam. Again, not the best machine in the world, but it gets the job done. I sure would like to see ethernet or usb ports, but the Chinese apparently haven't figured out that yet.

I can say without question, the vinyl plotter has gotten me a lot of work. You always hear those stories "My machine paid for itself in 1 job". I always doubted the validity of those stories until my plotter showed up. I've had dozens of jobs that paid for it in a single job. In fact, I have 4 jobs in house right now for the machine and every single job will pay for the cutter and then some.

One thing on the "things to buy" list is a nice, higher end vinyl plotter. After seeing the dollars it makes, I'm now confident a good one will pay for itself in a short period of time.

AL Ursich
04-11-2008, 10:20 PM
When you look at the Liquid Lens web site and think of what that can do as a new product it is very exciting.

Was talking today about doing reflective stickers for Fire Helmets with it.

I was thinking of getting into the road sign business a while back. The way they do them now is have a white Prism Grade street sign blank. Then a green or blue color mask to go over the prism but with the letters cut out. Weed and apply a carrier and stick it on if a carrier is required. I believe a over laminate is required too.

T shirts are now possible. I had been asked to do T shirts for the Township but only had Sublimation T Shirts available and none in Florescent Green.... Now the job is possible....

The Doming Stickers will be a big part of my business.

AL

Scott Shepherd
04-12-2008, 8:40 AM
I saw that process yesterday Al. I walked by it, not interested and then walked back when he started a demo. Not the same company as Liquid Lens, but same concept. It was pretty cool and some great things were possible.

I always wondered how those type things were done. Now I know :)

AL Ursich
04-12-2008, 7:15 PM
This was at a show? Was it UV Cure?

AL

Scott Shepherd
04-12-2008, 7:41 PM
Not sure Al, but I do recall almost busting out laughing when he told the cure times. He had all the little American flags cut and ready and he was showing how it worked and then he said "It dries to touch in 24 hours and ready to be shipped in 48 hours".

I almost laughed out loud. We're talking about finished items that are pennies or nickels (maybe quarters), and I have to wait 48 hours before I can ship them? No thanks, I'll pass.

So I guess that means that it was air cure, not UV cure.

It was at the NBM Show in Charlotte yesterday.