PDA

View Full Version : Hey John Weber....PIC

Dennis Peacock
03-28-2004, 1:27 AM
A buddy of mine and I made a couple of things to send your way for you "little neighbor". I will get them shipped out to you this week.

This was a fun little project and they are "perfect" but it was my first shot and making a small scale airplane. But, it didn't take me as long to build as PIC 3 shows what I used to build and FLY.!!

Dennis Peacock
03-28-2004, 9:50 AM
I forgot to mention that these planes are made out of Cypress and I made the wheels on my lathe which was also a first time thing for me. I am really liking this "roundy round" thing. Now I just need to find funding to purchase a better lathe as I have to keep working on the speed control of this one all the time. Sheesh.!!! ;)

Bart Leetch
03-28-2004, 11:32 AM
Dennis, I think the little planes are really cute & now the rest of the story....Tell us about the real plane details man details motor HP, length, wing span, weight etc. I love aeroplanes. Even if their to small to sit in.

Dennis Peacock
03-28-2004, 12:56 PM
That's a Sopwith Pup Biplane. 91 Inch wingspan and powered by an OS/MAx 1.20 4-Stroke with a 14" prop. 4 Channel setup with rudder, elevator, throttle and ailerons. Flew very realistic.

Nothing like flying one of THESE though!!!! THIS baby had a 32cc chainsaw motor in it, swung a 23" prop, flew like a bat out of....well you know....and this dude could even "hover" that thing right over the runway without it moving in ANY direction....called hanging it on the prop. Don't believe me? Look at the next pic here.

Jim Becker
03-28-2004, 12:57 PM
It's been many years since I was involved in R/C, but I guess in retrospect, it was my first real woodworking work. It was apealing, both from the aviation standpoint and from the detailed construction standpoint. Prior to that I had only done scale models of automobiles, starting with plastic kits, but heavily modifying and detailing them for shows. The planes brought a new dimension...they actually had to work and fly!

Nice job on the cypress models...they are cute and certainly apealling!

Dennis Peacock
03-28-2004, 12:59 PM
I forgot....construction was balsa and aircraft grade plywood (5-ply) and had a 16 ounce fuel tank. Covering with stits and paint.

Oh and on the Big Edge plane? Needless to say that them boys spend a LOT of moolah BEFORE the planes were even ready to take out for its very first maiden flight.

John Weber
03-29-2004, 12:03 AM
Dennis,

Awesome - He will LOVE it, it's been another tough week, if you could only see how excited he and his family are when touched my the thoughtfulness of others. Many Thanks!

I use to RC as well, but never was very good. This was my last plane, it is a 60 size and much faster then it looks. My Dad built it when he was a kid, I reworked it with a new engine and new wing. I only flew and sort of crashed landed once. Gave up RC when I got out of college. Although the fight box was one of my first woodworking projects. Using Dad's tools and simple construction it was made from 1/4" and 3/8" plywood with an OSU theme. The two seem to go hand in hand.

Thanks again - John

http://www.weberwoodworking.com/picsw04/airplane1.jpg
http://www.weberwoodworking.com/picsw04/rccase2.jpg http://www.weberwoodworking.com/picsw04/rccase1.jpg