PDA

View Full Version : waterlox

jim sauterer
04-09-2008, 7:33 PM
wondering what your thoughts are on waterlox as a finish.quite expensive but is it worth it.thanks for any input.

Burt Alcantara
04-09-2008, 7:54 PM
Jim,
There is good information in the finishing forum on waterlox. Helped me a lot.

Burt

Jim O'Dell
04-09-2008, 8:08 PM
I second what Burt said. I used it on my router table. It was easy to use. I like the satin finish of the original I used, but I think they have a gloss version as well. It's easy for me to go get...about 8 miles away at the Woodcraft store. I did get a bottle of the Bloxygen also to help what I had left over last until I need it again. You can also put it in plastic containers and squeeze the excess air out to keep it from gelling, but I have a thing about keeping stuff in it's original container. After using MinWax clear poly, I don't think it's really that much more expensive. It goes a lot farther that the poly did. Try it and see what you think. Jim.

Joe Chritz
04-09-2008, 10:17 PM
If I use a wiping varnish it is the first thing I reach for.

The price tag is a tad shocking but so is everything else and it is a very small percent of any project.

Joe

jim sauterer
04-13-2008, 9:17 AM
put 2 coats on over the weekend.first coat with brush second coat with a rag like the rag much better.really impressed with overall results so far one more coat goes on today thanks for your help.read the other threads also great help.thanks again.

Peter Quadarella
04-15-2008, 3:59 PM
Did you use the sealer? I bought a can of the High Gloss Finish, but then I read it and noticed it said I should use the Sealer as a first coat. I'm wondering if I need to run out and buy a can.

Edit: should have noted - this is for hard maple and BB plywood.

Steve Schoene
04-15-2008, 4:20 PM
You don't need to run out to buy the Original/Sealer. The Gloss will be fine as a sealer, though it has a much higher solids content. For wiping tou probably would want to thin it a bit, and the first coat could be thinned also for penetration and faster drying.

Peter Quadarella
04-15-2008, 4:22 PM
OK, I didn't want to hijack, but quick followups - are cotton rags ok or do I need to get some lambswool or something? Also, what should I thin with, mineral spirits or something like that?

Mike Schmalzer
04-15-2008, 4:47 PM
I always like a coat of danish oil before I start with Waterlox. It really helps the grain pop. I wouldn't recommend using anything you want to keep for application. I just use high quality lint free paper towels. They can be tricky to find but work great.

Peter Quadarella
04-15-2008, 5:01 PM
I have some Watco hanging around and was thinking about doing that. My only worry is there are some crevices and and I'm not sure it would be good if the Watco got in there. I'm working on a piece of shop furniture, and it is intended as a learning experience - I'm doing a lot of first try things on it.

Bryan Berguson
04-15-2008, 6:04 PM
Peter,

I'm finishing some projects now with Waterlox. I put the first coat of Finish/Sealer on with wet sandpaper and then wiped it off with a lint free shop paper towel. Works great as a grain filler leaving the wood very smooth. Another coat of sealer, two coats of Waterlox High Gloss with a final coat of sealer put on with 1000 grit wet sandpaper. I have never had finishes come out this nice!

Bryan

Peter Quadarella
04-15-2008, 8:21 PM
Thanks for the details Bryan!