PDA

View Full Version : Engraving Ice?

Craig Colvin
04-09-2008, 6:37 PM
Anybody ever tried cutting/engraving and ice cube? I'm going to give a try tomorrow but was looking for some advice.

I'm starting off with a 6"x3"x1" thick block and want to cut it into various shapes. I'm thinking it will either work OK or completely melt.:)

Sean De Gazon
04-09-2008, 6:59 PM
Er, Craig I'm not too sure thats such a great idea. I think it will indeed melt and cause a watery mess in the laser bed for you to clean up? Or were you thinking of putting it in some kind of tray to hold the melted water. Either way there is a possibility that it could damage the electronics in your laser :eek:
But hey I've never heard of anyone trying it so I'm just guessing. What are you going to use this application for if it does work?

Joe Pelonio
04-09-2008, 7:01 PM
I also heard that it works (engraving, not cutting) but you have to keep it in a pan to catch the drips or risk big trouble. Then you have to get it back into a freezer fast. Post a pic if you do it!

Sandra Force
04-09-2008, 7:02 PM
I think that you can do some engravig but not sure how well it will turn out. I would not do vector cutting. I don't need water in my vacuum system.:D

AL Ursich
04-09-2008, 7:07 PM
I would think a kitty litter pan on the table with a block of wood in the pan bringing the ice above the sides of the pan would work. Steam on the optics.... not sure about that. Interesting....

AL

Dan Hintz
04-09-2008, 7:15 PM
Try it with and without air assist... I'm curious to know if the air would give you cleaner lines by pushing away the water as the ice melts. If you're willing to relocate your machine to an industrial fridge, you could probably to raster pics, too. Just make sure you turn down the water chiller temp to the new ambient.

Sandra Force
04-09-2008, 7:16 PM
Be sure to use air assist if you try it to keep the evaporation off from the lens.

Craig Colvin
04-09-2008, 8:26 PM
I am going to use a pan underneath the ice. My original plan was a tupperware container but I then realized a metal one would be better. I would like to vector cut and will try it but I'm not too hopeful it will work.

Frank Corker
04-10-2008, 5:10 AM
Haven't you done it yet?

Craig Colvin
04-10-2008, 10:43 AM
Haven't you done it yet?

No, not yet. The laser is at work and Wednesday was my day off. So I will try it around 10am PST today (Thursday).

Bill Cunningham
04-10-2008, 8:45 PM
Hmmm The dryer the wood the better it cuts, stands to reason then, the dryer the ice the better it will cut too :D
Mabe C02 ? also known as 'dry ice' .. At least theres no chance of fire!:eek:

Dan Hintz
04-11-2008, 8:51 AM
The CO2 vapor is going to give you focus and beam scattering fits... air assist would make it worse.

Joe Pelonio
04-11-2008, 9:11 AM
Still waiting for a picture, who's going to be the brave one? :rolleyes: