PDA

View Full Version : Microwave drying any good?

Alan Tolchinsky
04-09-2008, 6:34 PM
Hi All,

I'd like to hear from anybody with some success with this drying method. What is your method? Is it a good technique or do some bowls crack?

Eddie Simmons
04-09-2008, 6:43 PM
I'm drying some ash this way right now. Getting some surface cracks, have just finished turning the outside, will mircowave for 10 minutes in morning. Let it cool and start on the inside tomorrow evening. Have turned some of the same wood start to finish in the same day, and have some success. But was turned very thin on side walls. I have only been turing for about 2 months.
Good luck,
Eddie

Nathan Camp
04-09-2008, 11:49 PM
I have used it on a few bowls that needed to be done quickly. If you nuke it too fast, you get checking. If you nuke it too long, the wood gets too hard. If you nuke it way too long, you need a fire extinguisher and a new microwave.:eek:

Actually, I'm joking about the last one. It works pretty well. I have a food scale. I nuke it at about 25% power for two minutes. Weight it. Then repeat until the weight stays about the same. Actually, after about the first three cycles, I take it to 25% for 1 minute.

nathan

Andy Hoyt
04-10-2008, 12:24 AM
At our February meeting, Tom Raymond gave us a quick run down on it and says he's had great success. Click this link (http://www.mainewoodturners.org/html/february_2008.html) and then scroll down to his spot on the night's docket. His technique is also posted (in pdf format).

neil mackay
04-10-2008, 2:41 AM
Alan, Yep it works but you need to vary it some for different timber.

Scott Lux
04-10-2008, 9:40 AM
Nathan's right. It works well, but you need a good scale to go with it. I suppose a very accurate moisture meter might work. But a scale is much less expensive.:cool:

robert hainstock
04-10-2008, 9:45 AM
My expierance tells me that to successfully dry wood, you need a variable control on the timer. To hot, = smoked wood. Don't use it for much any more other than coffee cups.:eek:
Bob

Rod Sheridan
04-10-2008, 1:06 PM
I microwave the bowl at 20% power for two minutes, then let it sit for a few minutes to cool.

I then perform the above step again, until the bowl is much drier. I tell if it's drier by holding my hand near it so see if appears to have water vapour coming out.

If there isn't much vapour coming out, and the bowl is coming out of the microwave cooler than in the above steps, I know the water content is very low. (The microwaves heat up the water molecules by vibrating them).

I've had good results with then completing the turning and finishing the same day......Rod.

Dale Bright
04-10-2008, 4:49 PM
I have had good luck using the microwave. I wrap the wood in a paper towel and put it into a plastic grocery bag. Then I nuke it for 30 seconds on 50% power, take it out and unwrap to cool for 10 - 20 minutes. I do this for several cycles and when the paper towel starts coming out dry, most of the moisture from the wood is gone.

I have used this method on some small bowls, small roughed out boxes and blanks for bangle bracelets.

Dale

Brad Hammond
04-10-2008, 5:29 PM
i dry pen blanks all the time in the microwave. defrost 'em a little, let 'em cool and go again. works great!

Alan Tolchinsky
04-10-2008, 5:55 PM
I'm still following this thread and am glad to hear the success stories as well as the problems.

Hilel Salomon
04-11-2008, 7:41 AM
Question: Wouldn't it depend on the microwave oven you use? I sort of "commute" between SC and VA, and when I use the ovens in each place, there is a considerable difference in how quickly they work on milk etc.? As the world laziest and most impatient turner, anything that would speed up the process sounds good to me.
Hilel.

curtis rosche
04-13-2008, 5:22 PM
i have been wondering since im an impatiant turner, what would happen if you took a bowl soaked in dna and put it in the microwave? would it dry it out and warp it with out cracks? would the microwave ignite? how about a gas oven?( just throw it in with food:D) i know dna already dries it out but i try to get turnings in as quick as possible and before the end of school and waiting for a couple weeks just doesnt work. and i think if it warped it would look neat.

fyi i plan on slowing down for the summer since i cant turn and just finding peices geting them blocked then dna and let them sit till next year. (any problem with this?)

Bernie Weishapl
04-13-2008, 11:01 PM
Curtis you scare me to death. I hope you aren't serious about putting a DNA soaked bowl in a microwave.:eek::confused:

Yes you can soak in DNA then let them dry during the summer and turn them when school starts.

curtis rosche
04-14-2008, 11:23 AM
just an idea wasnt serious. that would have some intersting results though

Bruce Shiverdecker
04-14-2008, 5:21 PM
YEH Curtis, something like what was done in "Under Seige"! A BIG BOOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bruce

Skip Spaulding
04-14-2008, 8:47 PM
I just turned 12 1/2" cherry bowl, real wet, cored it to 3/4" microwaved 2min at 60% then 2min just turning on carousel no heat, repeated many times and lowered heat and time. I finish turned it and went back to the microwave using 1 1/2min @ 50% and 2min. air only until it felt and looked dry enough. It didn't sand real well so a couple more times in the micro. It hasn't cracked yet, will let you know! I dry most of my bowls in the micro (13"and under) usually they crack if I leave a lot of pith. I am guilty of trying to get a large bowl out of a small diameter log!