PDA

View Full Version : Rot resistance of cherry sapwood?

Wade Lippman
04-09-2008, 6:29 PM
I need to make a new rudder for my 15' sailboat. I have a piece of sapwood cherry that is the right size, and I don't see many other uses for it.

I know cherry is highly rot resistant, but is that just the heartwood or also the sapwood?

Brad Morse
04-09-2008, 9:05 PM
Only the heartwood is rot resistant.

As far as I'm aware there is no sapwood that is rot resistant.

B

Peter Quinn
04-09-2008, 9:09 PM
Cherry for marine grade application? I'd be worried about that.

Greg Cuetara
04-09-2008, 9:56 PM
If I were you I would take the cherry, cut it and shape it for your rudder. After you get it shaped properly coat it with a layer or fiberglass and epoxy then you will have no worries about rot.
If you go into west marine or boat US they have books or you can get online and follow the WEST system for epoxy and fiberglass.
I'm sure if you go into the new boat forum they will be able to help you out with rudders etc.

I have a 15' sailboat and I took a piece of mahogany I had laying around and am using that right now. I take the rudder out so it does not stay in the water long enough to seem to be a problem.

Good luck,
Greg

Joe Chritz
04-09-2008, 10:34 PM
You can make aquariums with west system epoxy so that is a good recommendation.

Other than that I would stick with the traditional woods for decay resistance.

Joe

Karl Brogger
04-11-2008, 8:39 AM
Rot resistance isn't real high on the requirements for a rudder. Stiffness and strenght are paramount. Use epoxy to seal it up and you will be fine. Don't use a single board, you'll want to glue up strips to keep it somewhat stable as well.

Andrew Long
04-11-2008, 11:37 AM
Cherry sapwood decays very quickly... the heartwood last a long time.

I would consider White Oak or Mahogany encapsulated in epoxy for boat applications.