PDA

View Full Version : Cabinet Cases

Greg McCallister
04-09-2008, 6:01 PM
OK, I have done a lot of reading about cabinet case material here on the creek.
That being said, I was wondering if I used birch for the cases and Ash for the rail and style framing for the doors with 1/4" Ash ply for centers if there would be a major contrast?
Face it, Ash ply is expensive and not readily available (have to order it) over a $120.00 a sheet for 3/4. I can swing the 1/4 at $55.00 a sheet as it may only take two sheets for the hole kitchen (small)
I know I can use melamine but really do not care for it for multiple issues - mainly weight, joining and its not real wood.
Do you think the tones between ash and birch would be that different?
I plan on using a clear water base cabinet safe finish without staining.
To make another issue clear too - any exposed cases would of course be done in Ash ply also.
Your thoughts?

David DeCristoforo
04-09-2008, 6:34 PM
I build my cabinet interiors almost exclusively out of WPF (whole piece face) maple plywood. Regardless of the face material. It always looks good. A light colored interior is nice even with a darker wood face. Ash faces with birch interiors should be just fine.

Karl Brogger
04-09-2008, 6:53 PM
All of my enclosed cabinets are birch enterior. Even with something as dark as walnut I think it looks sweet. In my opinion the more contrast the better.

Jim Becker
04-09-2008, 8:25 PM
I generally use birch for my carcasses and cherry for my face frames and door/drawer faces. I agree with David, the lighter interior is not a disadvantage and it's only visible when a door is open, anyway. I can't really see any reason there would be a visual issue with birch carcasses for your ash constructions.

Peter Quinn
04-09-2008, 9:06 PM
I'm using prefinished maple for case interiors with paint grade exteriors in an antique New England motif and it looks great. I like the light wood for case interiors, makes things brighter when the doors open. I wouldn't do it for open shelving applications.

The prefinished ply is worth it if you don't have a lot of experience spraying cabinet boxes (or even if you do). That factory finish is bullet proof and it saves a lot of time on the finishing end. You do have to handle it carefully in the shop to avoid scratches on the show face.