PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed for waste wood glueup

Steve Retherford
04-09-2008, 4:16 PM
Hello, I am fairly inexperienced in woodturning and I have some questions. I have a piece of wood(I believe it is called canary) that is 8" in diameter. It is only 2" thick and I want to make a bowl out of it. I do not want to use any of the thickness for my chuck tenon. I have read or seen somewhere(I honestly can't remember where????) about using waste wood for the tenon. Is Titebond 3 the type you use, or some type of CA glue? Thank you in advance for your advice. Steve Retherford.

Matt Hutchinson
04-09-2008, 4:29 PM
I think either of those will work. If the wood is an exotic, it may have oils that should be removed from the area you will be gluing. Most solvents are adequate for this... even paint thinner would due. Let the solvent evaporate thoroughly, then you are good to go. With that small of a blank, any glue will work. CA or an epoxy would be my choices, just cuz they dry fast. Just make sure you lay on a heavy coat if you are using CA. If you aren't in a hurry, any Titebond or polyurethane glue would work also.

Good luck, and make sure you post pics of the finished product!

Hutch

Keith Burns
04-09-2008, 5:11 PM
Titebond is all you need. CA glue is too brittle IMHO and polyurathane is too messy.

Richard Madison
04-09-2008, 10:20 PM
Ditto what Keith said. Unfamiliar with canary wood, but if dense and oily, wipe the surface with acetone, let dry and glue with any Titebond (1, 2, or 3).

Steve Retherford
04-11-2008, 6:31 AM
Thanks all, I'll use some Titebond 3.