PDA

View Full Version : Pricing Pepper/Salt Mills to Sell

Matt Hutchinson
04-09-2008, 3:44 PM
I have not tried to sell my turnings out of a booth before. This summer I have an opportunity to sell at a booth every weekend. I was thinking that functional items would be good for this particular market. If a quality pepper/salt mill grinding mechanism is $13 for one, will people really buy a set for $45 and up?? What difference is there between the cheap hardware and the more expensive hardware? At what price do you sell your mills? Thanks.

Hutch

Bob Hallowell
04-09-2008, 4:25 PM
I use the stainless steel for pepper and I price depending on the wood and how much I like it. I sell 12" from $100 to $150 in rural Pa. Some are turned off by the price other look at it as art on there counter top. Here's a set I made my wife. I would of charged $250 for this set. They are 12" and 11" in size.

Bob

Russ Sears
04-09-2008, 4:47 PM
Bob, those are stunning. I'm just getting into turning and I'm curious if you don't mind me asking: are you getting those prices at shows/craft fairs? a retail store?

Bernie Weishapl
04-09-2008, 5:20 PM
Matt I can't get what Bob is and wish I could. I get $65 and up for a salt/pepper mill depending on the wood.

Kurt Bird
04-09-2008, 5:39 PM
Matt,
My pricing is $75 for a single, non-exotic wood, like walnut, mahogany, etc. The pricing goes up for single exotic woods thru about $110. Then, for laminated or fancy combos, it can range up to $165. Remember, if you buy the wood for $10, add $13 for the mechanism, spend 45 minutes to 1.5 hours to make the item, and hope to earn at least $20-30 per hour for your time, and want to make a little profit, too... It's all in what you think you need, and then you can start to find out what people will pay. Shoot for some craft fairs that are a little bigger, a little more attended, and I think you can probably charge similar prices.
Kurt

Bob Hallowell
04-09-2008, 6:19 PM
I rarely make mills out of domestic wood if so it is laminated so I have anywhere between $20-$40 (I use burls) plus I would say I have close to 3 hours in a mill from drilling and shaping to finishing, buffing and assembly More if I laminate.

Thus my prices. I sell them our local mall at christmas time, lots of word of mouth and I do some wne festifuls.

Bob

Andy Hutyera
04-09-2008, 6:42 PM
In terms of which mechanism to use- I've been using the "Mr. Dudley" stainless steel mechanism for several years. They seems to work well and I've had no complaints. To me the Cadillac mechanism is the Peugot. I've noticed some Canadian turners use them but I've never been able to find a source of supply - only completed pepper mills for sale. I believe they are actually made by the same company that made the somewhat infamous French car. Anyone know where they are available? The mill mechanism --not the car!

Curt Fuller
04-09-2008, 8:08 PM
Matt, a member of my turning club is sort of a master of peppermills. He sells these about as fast as he can make them. http://www.pepper-mills-plus.com/

He uses these grinder mechanisms and claims they're better than anything else he's found.
http://www.chefspecialties.com/catalog/index.php/cPath/18

Keep your quality up and don't undersell yourself.

Dennis Peacock
04-09-2008, 9:28 PM
Depends a lot on where you are located and what you economic area is like. Don't want to make them and bring them here to sell....that's all I can say. :)

Bernie Weishapl
04-09-2008, 9:51 PM
Dennis is right. It is about where you are and that is why I said $65 up. I start a few big craft fairs around here which is a farming community for 200 mile radius. I started out with prices from $110 to $160. I never sold one at four craft fair in Colorado, Nebraska and Kansas. I didn't go the next year but did this last year and with the $65 to about $95 I sold I think 18.

Bob Hallowell
04-09-2008, 10:49 PM
Matt, a member of my turning club is sort of a master of peppermills. He sells these about as fast as he can make them. http://www.pepper-mills-plus.com/

He uses these grinder mechanisms and claims they're better than anything else he's found.
http://www.chefspecialties.com/catalog/index.php/cPath/18

Keep your quality up and don't undersell yourself.

Those are what I use, I pick them up as the are made locally. They are the same deluxe ones Lee Valley, csusa and such sale.

Bob

Matt Hutchinson
04-10-2008, 8:28 AM
This gives me a lot to work from. Now I know that I can feel comfortable pricing at a $15/hr price for labor. If I can make that wage just starting out, I will be thrilled. Also, thanks a lot for the link to the mechanisms. I don't want to be making beautiful mills that don't work after a year!

Also, do those mechanisms actually take five weeks for delivery?!?!? Last but not least, should I be concerned about the salt/pepper being in direct contact with exotic wood? Do I need to seal the inside of the mills? Thanks.

Hutch

Barry Elder
04-10-2008, 1:45 PM
Just a suggestion! Take your best looking, most exotic looking pepper mill to the best restaurant in your city and ask to see the head chef. Ask him what your pepper mill is worth and go from there. The reason, I have seen exotic pepper mills in some of our touristy restaurants that the waiter would gloat that he paid $250 for it. Probably some exaggeration, but waiters do put on a show for their tips!

Adam Howard
04-10-2008, 4:30 PM
Mine usually go for $150-185 for a set. If I use very expensive woods, the price goes up from there. I could sell more for less, but I feel my time is worth what I'm asking. I use the Crushgrind ceramic mills.

Before you set your labor price, ask yourself what your plumber charges....

My theory is that you can't compete in the lower-end market. Too many Walmart shoppers. What you CAN offer is an artistic functional piece of homegrown American craft, that can be handed down for generations. There are people out there willing to pay for that, but it's not as easy to find them.

http://fineamericancraft.com/images/1704.jpg

Greg Savage
04-11-2008, 9:33 AM
Matt...Everybody is pretty much on target with their pricing. I have sold mills for as much as $375, but the venue at which you are selling must be considered. If you are selling only mills out of your booth, you may be in for some very long weekends. Make sure you have smaller less expensive items also....bottle stoppers, salt cellars, and small plates to set the mills on. Some folks get real "excited" about the ground pepper that falls out of the bottom onto the table.

How about some fresh peppercorns to sell? I usually take along several types of peppercorns prepackaged in 4oz bags and usually sell enough to nearly offset my booth fee. A 5lb bag of Tellicherry peppercorns is @$26+shipping.

http://www.bulkfoods.com

I can also help you out with several other sources for sea salts and mechanisms.

Greg

tdog@nauticom.net

Don McLeod
04-12-2008, 8:13 PM
I have been using the Chef Specialities mechanism, find their pricing fair and service excellent. I would like to try the crushgrind mechanism but haven't found a site that has a "fair price" . The price is around $14.00 on most sites but you can buy a 6" mill with a crush grind mechanism from IKEA for $10.00 ( the mill's body is MDF).
Has anyone found a site that has wholesale pricing.

Thanks

Don

Matt Hutchinson
04-13-2008, 7:29 AM
Now, the next question is where is your favorite place to shop for mill blanks, especially exotic woods. Thanks.

Hutch