PDA

View Full Version : Huh? PDF import issue

Scott Shepherd
04-09-2008, 3:34 PM
Using X3, I have 2 logos that have half moon shapes on it. Nice, clear, sharp logos. Import it into Corel from a pdf file and the half moon shapes turn into rectangles. I've looked at import options, used "import text as curves and as text" and get the same result.

I'm a little stumped. They also sent the file in a eps file and darned if that doesn't import as rectangles as well. I'm looking at the file to see if there's some object that's hidden that's causing it, but it seems like there is nothing there. I can't seem to figure this one out.

Anyone ever seen that happen?

matt heinzel
04-09-2008, 4:07 PM
I get all kinds of issues with PDF files. Have you tried to open it in Adobe Acrobat if you have the full version? You can try and resave or export it. That works once and a while for me.

Scott Shepherd
04-09-2008, 4:30 PM
We don't have Acrobat in the full version. I tried importing it into FreeHand, but that didn't work at all for some reason. Just got a giant "X" box.

Paul Brinkmeyer
04-09-2008, 4:58 PM
If you want, E-mail it to me and I can have a try at it.

Steven Smith
04-09-2008, 6:11 PM
Using X3, I have 2 logos that have half moon shapes on it. Nice, clear, sharp logos. Import it into Corel from a pdf file and the half moon shapes turn into rectangles. I've looked at import options, used "import text as curves and as text" and get the same result.

I'm a little stumped. They also sent the file in a eps file and darned if that doesn't import as rectangles as well. I'm looking at the file to see if there's some object that's hidden that's causing it, but it seems like there is nothing there. I can't seem to figure this one out.

Anyone ever seen that happen?

I think I had this problem until I got all of the service packs upgrades for Corel... Check out the help site at Corel.

Mike Null
04-09-2008, 8:35 PM
I sometimes have that kind of issue if I try to work with an open PDF. But if I save the PDF then open or import it in Corel it seems to work.

J Porter
04-10-2008, 4:12 AM
Are you "Importing" the PDF? or simply "Opening" it??

I've seen weird things happen with PDFs when you Import them, especially with X3. So "Open" the file. X4 seems to handle importing PDFs much better, but I still Open them anyway.

Frank Corker
04-10-2008, 5:15 AM
Steve you could send it to me by email if you like and I'll give it a go in my system.

Scott Shepherd
04-10-2008, 10:50 AM
Paul's worked it out. Thanks Paul, fantastic!

Paul Brinkmeyer
04-10-2008, 10:53 AM
All I did was follow a lead. Opened it up in Adobe cs3 and it was fine. changed a mask??? and re-saved it as a pdf. it worked.
I am not very good with adobe, just got lucky.

Added note:" Corel x4 did not open it or import it any different than x3

Bill Cunningham
04-10-2008, 8:52 PM
I had a customer send me 13 .pdf's (text and photos) to be etched onto 8x10 silver alumamark.. My corel 12 imported the first samples ok, (created as adobe ver4.?) the finished files were created with adobe 5.? and C12 would not do anything with them.. I downloaded the trial x4 and bingo in they came.. Looks like I'm going to have to upgrade.. the upgrade is $199.00 at corel in Canada, any one know of a lower cost from a reseller before my 15 days are up?